"Zooming With Your Feet" Is Dumb

I think zooming with your feet is a bad way to zoom. (Use a zoom to zoom) However, getting closer can be a valuable suggestion, especially for new or inexperienced photographers. When I see a lackluster amateur photo, it seems like five times out of ten the composition is uninteresting because it was taken from too far away. This is especially true of family photography -- your photobug uncle's "ant people" shots of the family in front of a scenic vacation site is a familiar example for many of us. I would never say "zoom with your feet" -- but I do suggest getting to where you want to shoot and taking a few steps forward. Doesn't always work, but I think it's a good practice for people who don't think much about composition but want better pictures, and it instills good habits.

It pays to have more than one focal length, whether by using a zoom lens, or several primes. Zooming with your feet is useful, but has limitations, like when there is a wall behind you or a canyon in front of you. So it isn't either/or, but some of both.

So I'd but it this way.

Compose with your feet.

Frame with your lens. (zoom or fixed)

Joe

It's a good skill to have when photographing with an antiquated fixed-lens rangefinder. In fact, I often have to zoom in or out with the help of my bicycle. Photography with a sixty plus year old classic is work.

With regards to Chris Crawford's original examples, he was right on in both cases to move in closer and switch to a shorter focal length to have the house block an unwanted background element. It worked.

Back