Yosemite!

One photographic theme I've explored in Yosemite is how the public interacts (or not) w/ the spectular surroundings. In that particular vein, here's another look from the Tunnel View (on Kodachrome, btw):

4946907729_2f7f4cfd55_b.jpg

I love this. It looks so Vintage.

d_ross, Arlen -- Thank you! Here are a few more.

Camp 4 rockclimbing, taken w/ a 1936 uncoated Elmar 90/4:

2876230032_756b5b680e_z.jpg

The great room at the Ahwahnee:

732960092_f11d8c50a6_z.jpg

Mariposa Grove:

4956281778_764507f529_z.jpg

Ah! Thank you for the Mariposa photo. I was curious what it might look like in the summer.

Really great photos folks. More More More!

Fascinating to compare the Tunnel View shots posted by Kevin and charjohncarter above: new portra v old kodachrome. The colors on the new portra look great; I've got try some soon.

Fascinating to compare the Tunnel View shots posted by Kevin and charjohncarter above: new portra v old kodachrome. The colors on the new portra look great; I've got try some soon.

I shot quite a bit of new Portra 400 in 35 and 120. I have to say the film does really well with the 120 format, but for 35mm I'll be sticking to Fuji 400H. Seems to be I can get better color with less work out of the Fuji emulsions. Also true for the 800z / Fuji Natura.

Well, my father-in-law didn't have a meter with his Leica, and in the somewhat higher latitude of Yosemite maybe he over exposed. I'll show you one from a similar year by him. This one is rich and surprisingly not faded. In fact, all of his 40s and 50s Kodachromes are great. The ones from the late 30s showed some fade and color shift,

Take this to the Norman Rockwell collection, 1950:

5089872535_20e2ba9d5f.jpg

Or the racetrack same roll:

5090471634_c54f74c150.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful photos, John. Like stepping into a time machine. Great colors, Norman Rockwell notwithstanding, I really like the second shot.

The foreground tree in charjohncarters post from 1950 looks like the very same tree in Kevin's first one. that's either truly amazing or an amazing coincidence :)

Same tree. They live a long time. Truly amazing!:)

And that tree makes an appearance in my Yosemite hoodies photo, above the head of the kid wearing the gray hoodie.

Last edited:
I shot quite a bit of new Portra 400 in 35 and 120. I have to say the film does really well with the 120 format, but for 35mm I'll be sticking to Fuji 400H. Seems to be I can get better color with less work out of the Fuji emulsions. Also true for the 800z / Fuji Natura.

I like the colors on your Tunnel View shot - portra picked up some light browns on El Capitan, and the greens look rich w/out being too saturated.

I've been twice to a cooking show/school in the Ahwahnee. Nice, if you like this kind of thing.

Here is Robert Curry (Greystone), for instance:

477754399_25mPe-O.jpg

Three days of good food with long breaks for hikes and photos ... Which is when I took my favorites, also shared before:

126040059_KZhGb-XL-2.jpg

195946980_o2938-XL-1.jpg

Roland.

Charjohncarter I love your family photographs in KC. The colors just look absolutly real life. What better do we make today ?

Thanks, my father-in-law was a real gear man. And he shot lots of Kodachromes. Later in life he would go to the local photo store and buy a new Nikon or Canon with three or four lenses every year. He would turn the old one in as trade in. Even the salesman at the store told him was nuts, but he did it anyway.

I think this was by Yosemite, too:

2390398632_740fcb89e3.jpg

Same tree. They live a long time. Truly amazing!:)

And that tree makes an appearance in my Yosemite hoodies photo, above the head of the kid wearing the gray hoodie.

Yes, what gets me is how over all this time the tree still looks in the same raggedy state, as though time stood still, but then looking at these shots from there time almost has stood still. Those Kodachromes look so good, they are treasures Charjohncarter!

Last edited:
Yes, what gets me is how over all this time the tree still looks in the same raggedy state, as though time stood still, but then looking at these shots from there time almost has stood still. Those Kodachromes look so good, they are treasures Charjohncarter!

I knew that guy, always a photographer, from when he was 39 (and he started around 18 years old)(my biggest disappointment was, he was in WWII and took many rolls of B&W during the war and developed them, but never printed them. I begged him to let me do them, but they eventually were lost somewhere). I have many of his photos, mostly family stuff. But with the passage of time, I sometimes wonder what makes a good photographer: his/her eye or time.

I knew that guy, always a photographer, from when he was 39 (and he started around 18 years old)(my biggest disappointment was, he was in WWII and took many rolls of B&W during the war and developed them, but never printed them. I begged him to let me do them, but they eventually were lost somewhere). I have many of his photos, mostly family stuff. But with the passage of time, I sometimes wonder what makes a good photographer: his/her eye or time.

It's a real shame you cant get your hands on those negs! what a treat it would be to see whats there. I know what you mean about time and Eye, over the years I have made many pictures with little intent to sell them or call them art, or for that matter to hold any value other than personal. But over time I find that more and more people see them as precisely that, and their reason? they are historical records relating to places they have fond memories of. As the old saying goes time changes everything!

Sorry to go off subject here!

tuolumnepano.jpg

glacierptpano.jpg

Just outside and down the street from Yose, can anyone name?

convictlakepanorama.jpg

Attachments

• tuolumnepano.jpg
    tuolumnepano.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0
  • glacierptpano.jpg
    glacierptpano.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 8928_954511399363_2201048_52410167_7734144_n.jpg
    8928_954511399363_2201048_52410167_7734144_n.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: