UK Region York meet 10 April

john neal

fallor ergo sum
Local time
3:36 AM
Tom_F and I recently met up when he bought a VF101 off me, at his suggestion, we met again just over a week ago, armed with our M3's and lenses that we swapped to try them out. I got to use Tom's CV 35mm f1.2 Nocton, and he tried my Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM with adapter. Unfortunately, the weather was not conducive to street shooting, so we retired to the historic Minster and set about some available darkness shooting.

Tom chose Tri-X and I was loaded with Ilford Delta 400 Pro, both rated at 1200asa. We took readings from Tom's Digisix that indicated values between EV7 and EV9, so lost of wide-open shooting at speeds around 1/60 and 1/125.

Here are some of my favourites from the short time we had available. You will, doubtless, spot processing marks and dust, but I have had to rush the processing. BTW, you can see Tom in the Pulpit shot, bottom left with the rucksack.

Attachments

• minster1.jpg
    minster1.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 0
  • minster2.jpg
    minster2.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 0
  • minster3.jpg
    minster3.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
More pics.

No doubt Tom will post some much cleaner ones...

Attachments

• lectern1.jpg
    lectern1.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 0
  • lectern2.jpg
    lectern2.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 0
  • lectern3.jpg
    lectern3.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 0
Morning John!

Interesting; I quite like the look of that pushed delta... I did develop my roll from that day yesterday, and scanned a couple of the eagle lectern; I've left them on my pc at home though; will do a few more tonight probably.

What do you think of the 35/1.2? I still haven't printed anything from it, although I developed a couple of rolls of that yesterday as well (and 10 from this weekend in Bristol!). Initial impressions of the 50/1.4 are good, although I've only scanned two and peered at the rest.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm impressed with the 35/1.2 - nice bokeh wide open. The negs look much better than these 72dpi scans - I think they would print up to stunning quality (well, for me anyway). There is detail just about everywhere and the object focussed on is very sharp.

Incidentally, the processing details for the Delta are T-Max soup at 1+4 for 13 mins at 21 deg C. I worked that out from my reference book as the Kodak info only gives 400 or 1600. I'm impressed that it held so much detail and the grain is quite acceptable.

I wonder how the lens would compare to a genuine Leica 35/1.4?

There's only one way to find out - we need to get hold of someone with the Leica lens(es). Any volunteers out there reading?

I am still undecided about what to do with the lens; I really picked it up out of curiosity, and I'm trying to work out ways of simplifying my kit... But my negs from it look very interesting as well...!

Tom

Two frames with John's Canon 50/1.4. I didn't make the effort to shoot the same things with the Nikkor, but I think we all know they're both good lenses.

Tom

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 0
Back