Xpro3 observations

They are great as well... but then the X-Pro has the weather sealing, build quality, EVF size, OVF (even if you hate it), higher shutter speed, higher flash sync, etc. I use both. I just prefer a viewfinder on the left.

Shame they don't put the much bigger EVF of the XT-3 into an XE body.

Shawn

This exactly. Maximize the OVF frame lines to the lens being used. That would have been so sweet and worth the premium.

If they could have made it a triple system put 1:1 in for the 35mm (50mm FOV and up) and on the other end a magnification that works with the 14mm. Then split the difference between the two for the middle magnification. Would have been great. Wonder if the move to OLED limited their options due to brightness concerns.

Shawn

Shame they don't put the much bigger EVF of the XT-3 into an XE body.

Since the EVF is larger, they'd have to come up with a slightly different form factor to put it in the corner. Maybe something inspired by the Olympus E-1, whose prism is pushed to the end. Or maybe the bridge cameras from the early 2000s.

olympus+c8080.jpeg

8454873_orig.jpg

Since the EVF is larger, they'd have to come up with a slightly different form factor to put it in the corner. Maybe something inspired by the Olympus E-1, whose prism is pushed to the end. Or maybe the bridge cameras from the early 2000s.

Had that Olympus! My first digital cam. Impossible to focus manually because the EVF was so coarse I could not tell if anything was in focus. Also had the longest pause between shots if you used RAW files.
But the handling was nice and I got some really nice shots.

I actually gave it away on RFF during one of those Xmas freebie exchanges.

They are great as well... but then the X-Pro has the weather sealing, build quality, EVF size, OVF (even if you hate it), higher shutter speed, higher flash sync, etc. I use both. I just prefer a viewfinder on the left.

+1

The X-E cameras are really great but they are not built to the same standard as the X-Pro2 & 3.

Last year I was winter walking the Norfolk coast with friends, one of whom had an X-E2. With eight miles to go we were caught out in pretty awful weather - squally rain, sleet and bitingly cold. My X-Pro2 carried on working, his X-E2 didn’t: damp and water ingress intermittently stopped viewfinder working.

After a good drying out the X-E2 is again working but for me, it was a lesson learned.

ahh true, just the 23mm frame that's bigger -

23mm frame comparison

35mm frame comparison
Wow, did not expect to see this type of comparison results. The new viewfinder looks quite glorious in comparison, but its usage leaves me scratching my head. Does Fuji offer some fancy new magnifiers or what is the thinking here?

I guess I now need to see one for myself.

Wow, did not expect to see this type of comparison results. The new viewfinder looks quite glorious in comparison, but its usage leaves me scratching my head. Does Fuji offer some fancy new magnifiers or what is the thinking here?

I guess I now need to see one for myself.

It's the difference between the new single magnification (0.52x) and the old dual magnification (0.2x and 0.6x.) Obviously 0.52x gives a larger image than 0.2x, but it also means you can’t use lenses wider than the 23 at all. And 0.52x is smaller than 0.6x, so you're getting a smaller image with 35, 56, and 90 lenses than you did with the old finder. Glorious? Only if the 23 is the only lens you ever use, in which case you might as well buy an x100. What was Fuji thinking? I suspect they were thinking that the OVF is mostly a talking point, and that most users won't care about having it dumbed down because they mostly use the nice new OLED finder.

It's the difference between the new single magnification (0.52x) and the old dual magnification (0.2x and 0.6x.) Obviously 0.52x gives a larger image than 0.2x, but it also means you can’t use lenses wider than the 23 at all. And 0.52x is smaller than 0.6x, so you're getting a smaller image with 35, 56, and 90 lenses than you did with the old finder. Glorious? Only if the 23 is the only lens you ever use, in which case you might as well buy an x100. What was Fuji thinking? I suspect they were thinking that the OVF is mostly a talking point, and that most users won't care about having it dumbed down because they mostly use the nice new OLED finder.

I’m sure they did their research and found more people cared about the EVF than the OVF. RFF will have a larger amount of OVF fans than the average site. I honestly think they are using the same ovf in the x100v and that is why it is only perfect at 23mm. It is also no secret that the 23mm is the most popular focal length for many Fuji users... though not for me. I like 35mm, but I use the EVF mostly with the OVF when I need it due to a lighting situation. The OVF is still completely usable for 35mm. Anything longer I prefer the EVF.

I guess I don't understand putting (what I thought was) the main feature of the camera on the backburner. I won't be shocked if in the next iteration or two they get rid of the OVF entirely to save cost. I suppose then it's just an aesthetic difference to the XT series. Kinda sucks because I really enjoy seeing outside the frame lines when I shoot. To me it REALLY helps with what I consider the most important element of photography. Composition. The frame lines give me a preview of how the image will interact with the image border. Evf is more like binoculars to me.

I suppose if one was to try and use a different lens than a 23mm, they could mount a hotshoe bright line finder?

I honestly think they are using the same ovf in the x100v and that is why it is only perfect at 23mm.
Well, if this is simply a cost-cutting measure, the change in approach is quite understandable. Still a step back, as much as I like the appearance of the larger viewfinder.

I was looking at some tests online and they compare the accuracy of the 23mm frame lines vs the actual image, and also with the EVF and 23mm lens.
The frame lines with the 23mm lens show quite a lot less than what is on the actual image, while the EVF of course is accurate.
I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not, as similar stuff happens with Leica frame lines. I guess I just expected more from Fuji! Either way, I think it is better that the frame lines show less than more, as you can crop out but not add in!

I was looking at some tests online and they compare the accuracy of the 23mm frame lines vs the actual image, and also with the EVF and 23mm lens.
The frame lines with the 23mm lens show quite a lot less than what is on the actual image, while the EVF of course is accurate.
I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not, as similar stuff happens with Leica frame lines. I guess I just expected more from Fuji! Either way, I think it is better that the frame lines show less than more, as you can crop out but not add in!

Exactly. Also, lenses of conventional construction increase their effective focal length as you focus closer, so if a manufacturer sized the frameline perfectly at infinity focus, it would show more than the actual picture area at closest focus, and you might find an important detail that you placed at the edge of the frame was cropped out of the actual image. Better to size the frameline for close focus, so that it shows less than the actual image area at infinity and you merely need to crop out the excess.

Some manufacturers, e.g. Konica, tried having “field size corrected” framelines that expanded and contracted as you focused, but overall I think most makers figured that if you really care about placing details on the exact frame edge, you shouldn't be using an RF camera!

Good explanation.

Some manufacturers, e.g. Konica, tried having “field size corrected” framelines that expanded and contracted as you focused, but overall I think most makers figured that if you really care about placing details on the exact frame edge, you shouldn't be using an RF camera!

Indeed, and it seems to me that it's always the fixed-lens RFs that offer the variable frameline feature. For instance my Fuji GS645S does have it.

Did Contax do it with the G1/G2? Or just have VF that matched the focal length?
"A zooming viewfinder provides an appropriate view for the installed lens."
"• Larger, brighter viewfinder than the G1 which presents parallax correction more clearly
• Real-image type viewfinder; zooms to show field of lenses 28-90mm; 0.57x magnification and 90% coverage w. 45mm lens at infinity; auto parallax compensation via moving mask.
• Built in diopter correction; range +0.3 to -2 diopter
• Viewfinder LCD shows AF frame; focusing scale; shutter speed; manual metering pointers; exposure compensation warning; flash ready/OK signal"
Not completely clear whether the VF zooms during focus but seems an obvious thing to implement.

Back