X10 RAW Converter?

Rob-F

Likes Leicas
Local time
6:37 PM
Up until now I've been shooting JPEGS in my X10. My version of Aperture (Aperture 3), with Snow Leopard, does not convert the X10 RAW files. MY copy of Aperture handles X100 RAW files just fine, but gives an error message, "unsupported file format" with X10 RAW.

My LR4 will convert X10 RAW, but I am not too comfortable with LR. I find it frustrating. Thinking I'd look into a simple RAW converter program, I Googled X10 RAW converter. A Fuji site came up with a "RAW converter upgrade," but it says it's for those who already have a licensed X100/ X10 RAW converter. I looked through all my disks and found one for Fuji Finepix X100 RAW converter. It doesn't say it's for X10.

I've lost many pictures through screwing up while using LR. I'd like to go right into Aperture with X10 RAW files. But I'm afraid to put the X100 RAW converter in, afraid it's a mistake. Should I let well enough alone, and suffer with LR as my converter?

Your problem is the native raw converter in Snow Leopard is too old to include the X10 raw. This sentence assumes you are use a fully updated version of Snow Leopard.

Your best bet would be to scout around the FUJIFILM web site and try and find the appropriate download for their X10 raw converter.

An alternate strategy would be to import the X10 raw into LR 4. Then immediately export in modified images as 16 bit TIFFs. Next you could import those relatively flat TIFFs into Aperture. Importing the raw into LR does not alter the original raw files in any way. Any issues you may have with LR will be eliminated because you aren't doing any further rendering in LR. Of course if you delete the images from LR - never, ever select the option "Delete Originals From Disk". There's no reason to delete anything from LR though because in-rendered images consume essentially no disk space.

If you make copies (duplicates) of the X10 raw files, playing with those copies using the X100 raw converter has no risk.

Willie_901 is correct. Apple provides raw support as a OS update so that all it's photo apps can use the same basic applications calls to do the work as opposed updating iPhoto or Aperture separately as Adobe does w/ LR or PS.

Gary

Back