why is street photography so hated?

You have lots of friends here Joe, but it's hard to comment when photos are presented in the self-described dumping ground of Flickr. Even an edited selection, like in my web link, gets little comment. It seems that single or just a few photos presented in their own thread get more response here at RFF.

Joe I agree with Frank. I hope you will consider starting a thread like Chris to show your work. I would enjoy seeing your progress. I rarely mess with flickr anymore & think most here feel the same.

In a gallery show you will have an artist statement and in a book there are forewords. We should all be able to express why.

Sometimes it takes as long, if not longer, to be able to express what one does in words. I agree, I think it's important, but I have sat through way too many artists' talks, where what they talk about, has nothing to do with what is on the walls.

As for why some hate street photography! I'm saddened to have already read negative comments about the new forum we have here on RFF on other threads. One from a moderator who shoots on the streets. I for one applaud Mr Jackson for taking this on himself & being so active as a mentor. I can already see a renewed spark in many of the members comments & believe they as myself enjoy the froum.

As for why some hate street photography! I'm saddened to have already read negative comments about the new forum we have here on RFF on other threads. One from a moderator who shoots on the streets. I for one applaud Mr Jackson for taking this on himself & being so active as a mentor. I can already see a renewed spark in many of the members comments & believe they as myself enjoy the froum.

+ 1

Well, the whole world is waiting for that...:D

LOL.

Oh by the way I don't think I commented on the image you posted but I thought it was very strong and if it needed a backstory as someone suggested IIRC and it was published then there was either a caption or story that went with it so it was intended to have a backstory with it. Intent is huge.

Sorry Dan,
I think I referred to you as Keith in an earlier post

LOL.

Oh by the way I don't think I commented on the image you posted but I thought it was very strong and if it needed a backstory as someone suggested IIRC and it was published then there was either a caption or story that went with it so it was intended to have a backstory with it. Intent is huge.

Sorry Dan,
I think I referred to you as Keith in an earlier post

No worries, some kinds of images read on the surface and others sort of read and make a viewer ask for more info, the whole a photo is worth a thousand words thing.

This one posted elsewhere is for Ned, he knows I don't give a rats a$$:

attachment.php

No worries, some kinds of images read on the surface and others sort of read and make a viewer ask for more info, the whole a photo is worth a thousand words thing.

This one posted elsewhere is for Ned, he knows I don't give a rats a$$:

Ya shouldn't do that when I drinking coffee by the keyboard. LoL....
I don't wanna know....

Sometimes it takes as long, if not longer, to be able to express what one does in words. I agree, I think it's important, but I have sat through way too many artists' talks, where what they talk about, has nothing to do with what is on the walls.

Surprisingly, I have found the philosophy and goals of some photographers more interesting (to me) than their actual images. This isn't to disparage the photographer; it's just the part that I, personally, find more interesting.

Epiphany: I'm a small town boy; I don't like the big city. Much street photography that I see here is done in the city. Aside from other personal photographic interests and biases, a photograph taken in a setting that I find uncomfortable will have less appeal to me.

- Murray

For my taste (I wanted to say MY) it seems a bit flat (needs a bit more contrast maybe) could be ok if the rest of the images in this project if indeed it is part of a body of work all have a consistency. I like the two trash containers on each side. They act like book ends but on the very far right low to mid frame there is something there that I don't think is helping.

(...)

Thanks for posting and I think there could an interesting body of work here.

Thanks.
I just wish i took an extra step forward, would've been much better i think (subjects more separated from the crowd).
I can add more contrast, to see how it looks, i'll probably try that.
About context... I m not a fan of adding words. I am glad if it rises some questions.
I do have a set on this day/happening in downtown Edinburgh. I'll share (lnks to) some more. I wouldnt call it a body of work though. It sounds too pretentious.

Thanx again

(...)

Also, the biggest error, one that is even more "annoying" the the girl on the right, is that fact that the woman in the center has someone standing on her head. An effort should have been made to detach the feet from the head. That alone is a basic error that should never be made.

All in all, the tourists, the lady on the right, the feet on the girl's head detract too much from any possible metaphysical meaning this picture is supposed to have.

Agree, as i wrote one step before i should've taken a step forward to detach her more from the crowd. To remove people from her head, if you prefer.

There aint big metaforical meaning intended, just kind of a snap really, a bit of contrast, some regular people otherwise.

I m glad you two seem to see the same flaw. About the deeper meanings, well they are just not there, it's a simple shot.

Thanks Ned.

A strong image that doesn't fit with a body of work can bring that entire body of work down if there is no visual flow or it doesn't work in the larger context. There is more than one way to see the world than Neds way Sorry Ned I know that is hard for you to get head around.

Pictures almost always lie.

There isn't a body of work to speak of? How do you know? We haven't heard form the creator.

There are a few better ones in this set (better=that i like more ) however it would be a bit awkward to share them all here.
I'm happy with the feedback i got on this.:)

Back