Votes: 84 42.6%
  • image1 is from M6, image2 is from Sigma DP1

Votes: 113 57.4%

• Total voters

LeicaFoReVer

Addicted to Rangefinders
Local time
11:42 AM
I obtained Sigma, this beautiful camera recently. I still can not believe how it gives images very similar to film, especially in black and white. And when iso is increased noise is very similar to grains in film. So lets play the game, which one of those images is from Sigma DP1 and which one is from my Leica M6 with a leica lens and kodak tri-x. Please dont use the exif info or other tricks :)

I will give the details later on:

Attachments

• img634-1.jpg
    img634-1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1
  • img00111.jpg
    img00111.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The photo on the right looks like it had some noise reduction done to it. I'd say photo on the left is Sigma.

I have an M2 and a Sigma and I don't know.

Lots of variables potentially getting in the way, not the least of which is the scanning.

That said, I said the first image is from the Sigma.

Of course, the blurred leg movement in the second image might be due to using a slow shutter to compensate for the Sigma's almost certainly smaller wide open aperture than the Leica lens delivers.

I reckon left is film also ... it seems to have more detail in the highlights!

I also say left is film, however one could post process the film file to look like digital in order to purposely throw people off.

the left is film because you obtained the sigma dp1 recently and the image on the left is watermarked 2009.

If you like the Sigma grain then use SPP 3, not 4, because 4 automatically does too much noise reduction. A lot of folks were disappointed about this when 4 came out. SPP 3 for B&W work, and SPP4 for color.

But yes, the DPs are wonderful B&W cameras.

BTW I voted the left picture as the film image because it has that film look to my eyes that even Foveon can't quite accomplish.

Last edited:
Both are fuzzy pictures in difficult light situations -- and it's all in tiny jpgs -- why would anyone care?

I gotta say they are both digital (half kidding). Don't mean to dis digital b/w or anything. I think b/w from digital camera can be better looking than b/w film on computer screen quite often.

For these two, I think pictures have too much digital artifacts to evaluate.

I wonder if people can tell VERY well made inkjet b/w from well made darkroom printed b/w. (never tried the direct comparison myself)

Last edited:
Back