Where have all the Good Jupiters Gone... Gone to RFF every one?

Yeah, I think that this lens is like your example in that the slot was not cut in the right place. Just tried infinity focus on some clouds, will not focus to infinity at f1.5, but gets a sharp image midway between f2 and f2.8.

Yeah, I think that this lens is like your example in that the slot was not cut in the right place. Just tried infinity focus on some clouds, will not focus to infinity at f1.5, but gets a sharp image midway between f2 and f2.8.

My understanding of the Sonnar design (perhaps Brian will step-in if I'm wrong) is that they will not focus to infinity when shot wide-open to prevent them from focusing past infinity when shot stopped down, in part because of the inherent trait of focus shift in the Sonnar and having to "pick" where in the aperture range you want it to be most "accurate." Since Sonnars are conventionally a close-up lens, optical designers gave up wide-open infinity focus for accuracy.

My understanding of the Sonnar design (perhaps Brian will step-in if I'm wrong) is that they will not focus to infinity when shot wide-open to prevent them from focusing past infinity when shot stopped down, in part because of the inherent trait of focus shift in the Sonnar and having to "pick" where in the aperture range you want it to be most "accurate." Since Sonnars are conventionally a close-up lens, optical designers gave up wide-open infinity focus for accuracy.

I have no idea if this is accurate or not, but after using Sonnar Brian's method I now have a lens that focuses properly. I have taken about a dozen pics at various distances and apertures, and focus is good, lens is sharp and I am pretty happy. I have ordered a set of tiny drill bits so that I can rotate and re-set the aperture ring so that it indexes properly.

Optimizing any lenses that have focus shift due to spherical and chromatic aberration makes my head hurt.
A Contax/Kiev mount Sonnar used on a Comtax/Kiev that is made to the 52.4mm standard should stay in focus across the distance range used at the same F-Stop. This is usually the case.
Likewise- the Wartime LTM Sonnars made to the Leica standard stay in focus across range. Same is true of the Nikkors.

The only lens I know of that was designed to require changing the F-Stop when focused to infinity is the 5cm F1.5 Summarit. The focal length is 51.1mm on the five that I took part, marked internally. Focus is optimized for stop down use at minimum focus, and for wide-open use at infinity.

Using a Zeiss standard Sonnar converted to Leica mount, or a shimmed J-3, optimize for wide-open close-up and stop down a little for infinity.

Here is a 1952 KMZ J-3 that has so far escaped the clutches of RFF. Glass looks to be in pretty good shape, the front of the optics module still has the yellow lacquer on it, but body/lens barrel does not. Might be a hybrid, who knows. I might ordinarily be tempted but I already have a sweeneyized 1952 lens that is just a beauty.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40393821677...Bk9SR4i27r76YA

Here is a 1952 KMZ J-3 that has so far escaped the clutches of RFF. Glass looks to be in pretty good shape, the front of the optics module still has the yellow lacquer on it, but body/lens barrel does not. Might be a hybrid, who knows. I might ordinarily be tempted but I already have a sweeneyized 1952 lens that is just a beauty.

I have a '52 KMZ J8. It has been at Advance Camera now since around April. I picked it up at the end of July. It was in for a CLA. The aperture ring on the '52 had not been lubed in a "Clean, Lubricate and Adjust." The '52 has been there on a warranty repair - aperture ring - since that end of July. I am assuming that 1) they will eventually figure out how to do this job and, 2) do it and then, 3) notify me they have accomplished these monumental tasks. One can only hope.

The star at Advance Camera, Jadon Rosado, left around a year or so ago and it seems to have changed hands. Changing hands has not made it better in my experience. Six months for a CLA is neither competent nor motivated. OTOH maybe I am fussy. LMAO

I really would like to get it back from those guys. When they are ready. Rosado did a shim and adjust for me while I waited. A difference in competence.

I see one set screw holding the helical into the mount- meaning it is a KMZ focus mount. ZOMZ and Valdai used three set screws. The KMZ Helicals tend to screw in tight into the mount, the ZOMZ and Valdai rely more on the set screws to hold in.

NIce clean 1955 KMZ J-3 that was attached to a Zorki 1-c. Glass and coatings are in beautiful shape. Lens does not look like it has been used much, takes good pics on the Sony. The one meter measuring tape test shows that this lens back-focuses about 20mm or so. Will play with shims tomorrow. Similar to my recent 1952 J-3, this one has only one screw holding the helicals together, but no screw hole is visible in the slot on the other side of the outer helical. I unscrewed one of my 1956 KMZ J-3s, and it looks just like the 1955 version, one screw holding the helicals in alignment. Makes me wonder whether the KMZ factory decided at some point that one screw was good enough. Lotsa characters scribed on the housing for the optical block.

I have a '52 KMZ J8. It has been at Advance Camera now since around April. I picked it up at the end of July. It was in for a CLA. The aperture ring on the '52 had not been lubed in a "Clean, Lubricate and Adjust." The '52 has been there on a warranty repair - aperture ring - since that end of July. I am assuming that 1) they will eventually figure out how to do this job and, 2) do it and then, 3) notify me they have accomplished these monumental tasks. One can only hope.

Something is wrong: Without ever having worked on one before, I performed a CLA on a J-8 as a relaxed, one-evening project. (Clickless) aperture- and focus ring now have a light, buttery smooth action. IIRC, a fair amount of disassembly was needed to access the aperture, but this is not an overly complex lens.

Something is wrong: Without ever having worked on one before, I performed a CLA on a J-8 as a relaxed, one-evening project. (Clickless) aperture- and focus ring now have a light, buttery smooth action. IIRC, a fair amount of disassembly was needed to access the aperture, but this is not an overly complex lens.

You bet something is wrong.

NIce clean 1955 KMZ J-3 that was attached to a Zorki 1-c. Glass and coatings are in beautiful shape. Lens does not look like it has been used much, takes good pics on the Sony. The one meter measuring tape test shows that this lens back-focuses about 20mm or so. Will play with shims tomorrow. Similar to my recent 1952 J-3, this one has only one screw holding the helicals together, but no screw hole is visible in the slot on the other side of the outer helical. I unscrewed one of my 1956 KMZ J-3s, and it looks just like the 1955 version, one screw holding the helicals in alignment. Makes me wonder whether the KMZ factory decided at some point that one screw was good enough. Lotsa characters scribed on the housing for the optical block.

I've seen a couple of KMZ lenses not manufactured correctly, but never one with a missing hole for the guide screw. If it had two slots, it should have had two guide screws. There was a version around this time that looked like a big J-8 focus mount. I've seen them on Ebay many years ago, was not interested as the traditional J-3 focus mount is better designed. In hindsight- should have bought one just to take a part.

There was a version around this time that looked like a big J-8 focus mount. I've seen them on Ebay many years ago, was not interested as the traditional J-3 focus mount is better designed. In hindsight- should have bought one just to take a part.

Sonnar B, this lens is in a standard KMZ J-3 mount. I have seen the "big J-8" mounts for the J-3 on eBay, but not for a long time. I have two 1956 KMZ J-3s, but can only unscrew one of them, the other is not gonna come apart as much as I dared to twist it.

I've seen a couple of KMZ lenses not manufactured correctly, but never one with a missing hole for the guide screw. If it had two slots, it should have had two guide screws.
Just lucky, I guess. :rolleyes:Part of the fun of buying these lenses is that they can be so weird.

I have a couple of FSU lenses these days.
I-22 50/3.5 that is very good
I-61 L/D 55/2.8 - also very good
J-12 35/2.8 - black no guards works a treat on my M 240
J-8 50/2 - something is off internally as it's soft even when focused with live view. I stopped caring with the Nikkor 50/2 & Super Rokkor 50/2 in hand ;)

Honestly, the only one I use much anymore is the J-12 because I like the way it renders.

Odd about the J-8, there were changes made to the optics in them, and I've seen lenses assembled with mismatched glass.

Not sure if it matters, but it's one of the newest short black ones. Was never good when I got it, but it wasn't expensive enough to send back.

Not sure if it matters, but it's one of the newest short black ones. Was never good when I got it, but it wasn't expensive enough to send back.
The black ones, in my experience, were all over the place and are where I believe the bad overall reputation on Russian lenses comes from.
I think a lot of these left the factory in non-working order. Some were out-right mechanically defect.

The earlier silver ones (I'd say up to ~1959) are usually fine (to be used on a Fed as intended) unless they have been messed with, which after 60+ years is sadly probably most of them.

The star at Advance Camera, Jadon Rosado, left around a year or so ago and it seems to have changed hands. Changing hands has not made it better in my experience. Six months for a CLA is neither competent nor motivated. OTOH maybe I am fussy. LMAO

I really would like to get it back from those guys. When they are ready. Rosado did a shim and adjust for me while I waited. A difference in competence.
I eventually did get the lens back from AC. It still needs work and will soon be made right and shimmed. I have a '57 KMZ J8 which is almost my best 50. Great accurate color and IQ and slightly warm. Good for portraits. And good as a general all-around lens for trotting around burning up electrons. This was shot on an M9 with that sweet '57. In the harbor while the shrimpers wait to unload, most likely shot at f/2.0.

1957 was a good year.... I tend to hold onto lenses and cameras made the same year I was born. Always makes me feel better when putting something older than me into working order.

I have an interesting Arsenal 1957 J8 that was in Contax/Kiev mount, adapted to Leica mount using an I-26M focus mount. Machining required, the seller did a good job. I've seen some hacks that are way-off, but this one is good.

A couple of my first test shots with an early J3 on M9. I'd just gotten the lens and wanted to try it out. According to research I did at the time it likely had German glass.

First shot is waiting for coffee with a friend at local Starbucks and second is having lunch with a friend at Casamento's, my fav local oyster place. If my memory is correct, both are in camera JPEGS.

GeorgeOL1004434 by Brusby, on Flickr

Over lunch by Brusby, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back