Georgia We need a "Gear Alert!" thread!

dave lackey

Mentor
Local time
5:22 PM
Okay,

For all of us who either need to borrow, trade, or just talk about our gear in the southeast area, we need to come up with a way to help each other out. For instance, I need to borrow a lens now and then. You may need a camera body. Out of film or want to try something different? Want to test drive a camera you are interested in?

Local meetups can facilitate that!

What do you folks think?

Anyone want to try something here in the general area of this forum?

Okay, over the past seven years, I know it has been hard to generate local interest in Atlanta. But we have been successful in spite of the lack of members.

So I will keep bumping this up to bring you folks out of the shadows.

Who will be the first in the Southeast to respond?:p

I suggested such an arrangement at RFF many years ago. The response to my suggestion was that RFF is based on sales.

I suggested such an arrangement at RFF many years ago. The response to my suggestion was that RFF is based on sales.

Hi, Raid, I understand although I was never aware of your thread. It makes perfect sense.

What I have in mind is this for an example:
Say I have an interesting piece of gear, maybe a TLR or an F6. Someone within my local area (Atlanta) may be interested in those cameras but would like to spend an afternoon shooting one on a test drive. I could meet up and we could have a photo walkabout in an interesting location so that person would be free to shoot as much as he would like until we both ended the walk and went home.

If nothing else, it would likely increase sales if the person enjoys the gear and decided to buy one rather than sit on the fence and do nothing.

Or, perhaps I need a lens for a particular shoot. I would not hesitate to temporarily exchange another piece of gear temporarily of equal value.

There may be a number of advantages for a local club to facilitate this type of interaction. But I could be wrong. :confused:

I may have been told then that people can make arrangements at a personal level, but it should not be a formal RFF function that does such exchanges.

I may have been told then that people can make arrangements at a personal level, but it should not be a formal RFF function that does such exchanges.

I agree. But I see no reason why the local meetups cannot give a gear alert thread for an upcoming meet. Otherwise we just have to do it with personal emails which is not the best thing.

Back