W/NW: Trains and Train Stations

That's probably where I bought a Weston Master V to replace one I dropped. They were certainly sensitive to impact.

The Trailways Station was behind Caine Sloan, across the street from Greyhound and a little closer to Broad St. The Memphis bound bus passed in front of Union Depot on Broad (TN Hwy 70) and would stop for passengers if we flagged them.

The trainshed burned in about 1996. Derelicts set it afire. It was too damaged to save, was torn down and a parking lot occupies the space now. That shed was built in 1900 and was the largest cantilevered structure in the world for many years.

not sure if I’ve posted this but it’s the ladies waiting at the L&N in Knoxville. I probably shot it around 69 or 70.

Attachments

• street BW 41.jpeg
    street BW 41.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 14
not sure if I’ve posted this but it’s the ladies waiting at the L&N in Knoxville. I probably shot it around 69 or 70.
I did a drawing of this very scene but far enough back to show the ticket counter and a little more of the main concourse. The photo I worked from was made in '74. I haven't been back inside since then.

I did a drawing of this very scene but far enough back to show the ticket counter and a little more of the main concourse. The photo I worked from was made in '74. I haven't been back inside since then.
I have a shot showing the ticket area too.

I don’t think I’ve been in there since the mid 70’s.

old 'thunderbox' - only held together by rust
med_U31858.1708376351.0.jpg

Guaro, Cuba - a carahata is a Cuban hybrid of a truck and a RR vehicle. Cuba is criss crossed with old RR tracks which were used to haul the sugar cane stalks from the field to the sugar mill. Some towns out in the country are more accessible by RR tracks than by roads. This carahata is set up to be used as an ambulance but has long term mechanical problems.

carahata-ambulance-Guaro.jpg

TR (Taiwan Railways 台鉄) Pingdong City Station,

( me taking a slow train to Kao-shoen City, there is no High Speed Train in this section, that proves that this is not China 🤣😅)

Pingdong City Station, southern Taiwan

a Taipei-metro Image

Canon APSC T4i,
Canon Lens 18-55

I finally got around to pulling a few of my old roundhouse and facility images. I’m not certain if this was L&N or Southern Rail but the roundhouse and maintenance facility is long gone. These were shot in the early 70’s.

The depot shots are the Knoxville L&N station in the mid to late 70’s before the 1982 Worlds Fair started excavating the area. The building still stands today and has been converted to a school.

The cool looking treacle is in Nashville in town not far from the capital building. I shot this 25 years ago before railroad agents would arrest you for getting on their property. Even then it was thought to shoot. This image was shot with a 4x5 Sinar Norma and Nikkor T 500mm tele. I think have some from the side too and have some other really funky old treacles.

Attachments

• Train Bridge nashville 2.jpeg
    Train Bridge nashville 2.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 16
  • LN C.jpeg
    LN C.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 16
  • L&N C2.jpeg
    L&N C2.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 15
  • L&N C1.jpeg
    L&N C1.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 16
  • L&N C3.jpeg
    L&N C3.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 16
  • LN G.jpeg
    LN G.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 16
  • LN I.jpeg
    LN I.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 16
  • Roundhouse D.jpeg
    Roundhouse D.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Roundhouse.jpeg
    Roundhouse.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Roundshouse B.jpeg
    Roundshouse B.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 16
A few more images from the Knoxville L&N depot in the early 70’s.

Attachments

• LN K.jpeg
    LN K.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 8
  • LN J.jpeg
    LN J.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 8
Back