w/nw: Rural

This station was built in the 30’s and when I was a kid in the early 50’s it was still operating. I don’t remember when I closed but would guess around 1964 when the interstate was completed and travelers no longer took state hwy 70.

Over the years I’ve watched it crumble and now it’s completely gone.

Circular stone service station on TN 70 just west of Knoxville. Notice the art deco gas pump.

Attachments

• Hwy 70 round station 1.jpeg
    Hwy 70 round station 1.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 11
U82040.1707734452.0.jpg

M8 | Canon 50 1.2

Shot in ~1975. Found these along a county road and were owned by an old gentleman who was into steam. He had about a mile of track around his property and would fire up an engine and take kids in the area for a ride.

Attachments

• Stean Tractor 2.jpeg
    Stean Tractor 2.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Steam Tractor 1.jpeg
    Steam Tractor 1.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Train 3.jpeg
    Train 3.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Train 2.jpeg
    Train 2.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 8
Shot in ~1975. Found these along a county road and were owned by an old gentleman who was into steam. He had about a mile of track around his property and would fire up an engine and take kids in the area for a ride.
Those conjure up some memories! Back in the late Forties, my family moved to a very rural area where we were the only "city people" around. Our neighbor, a crazy old "Swamp Yankee" (what they called rednecks in New England), had an ancient steam tractor much like the ones in these photos. For grins and giggles, he would have us kids bury our legs in leaves and litter, then run them over with the tractor; the wheels were so wide that all we felt was some pressure. We loved it, but when my parents found out about this game, they were berserk! I can't imagine why...

Those conjure up some memories! Back in the late Forties, my family moved to a very rural area where we were the only "city people" around. Our neighbor, a crazy old "Swamp Yankee" (what they called rednecks in New England), had an ancient steam tractor much like the ones in these photos. For grins and giggles, he would have us kids bury our legs in leaves and litter, then run them over with the tractor; the wheels were so wide that all we felt was some pressure. We loved it, but when my parents found out about this game, they were berserk! I can't imagine why...
Wow!!! That’s crazy. I’d freak big time if I’d seen that happen to my son.

Back