W-Nikkor C 3.5cm f/1.8 Photos!

I like these a lot, Kevin, and certainly they show how crisp the Nikkor is.

Glad you like the pictures I shared. W-Nikkor 35 1.8 is sure an incredible lens. I like its rendering, colors, and its bokeh. It's a classic lens that will never get you bored.

HU for an unusual W-Nikkor-C 35mm 3.5 lens on eBay:

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Rare-Nikon-...893250?hash=item33f5b94a82:g:xRQAAOSwlulbahid

It has a beauty ring that is far more forward placed, although that can be because it needs screwing down? But, it has markings 'Nippon Kogaku Tokyo', instead of 'Japan', signalling an early lens. And, there's a number on the mount that puts it in line with the early 5cm 1.4 lenses marked 'Tokyo', which are sought after.

Jon, these shots are just beautiful. The flare around the highlights gives a good effect. I prefer the second shot because it is sharper and there are people on it.

Erik.

HU for an unusual W-Nikkor-C 35mm 3.5 lens on eBay:

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Rare-Nikon-...893250?hash=item33f5b94a82:g:xRQAAOSwlulbahid

It has a beauty ring that is far more forward placed, although that can be because it needs screwing down? But, it has markings 'Nippon Kogaku Tokyo', instead of 'Japan', signalling an early lens. And, there's a number on the mount that puts it in line with the early 5cm 1.4 lenses marked 'Tokyo', which are sought after.

Looks like a bog standard early W-Nikkor 35/3.5 to me, Johann. What am I missing?

Edit: Ok, I think I see what you mean now. Looks like there's no filter ring (which is possible with the early lenses) or the beauty ring is not pressed in all the way.

Jon, these shots are just beautiful. The flare around the highlights gives a good effect. I prefer the second shot because it is sharper and there are people on it.
I agree with Erik, those photos are excellent. Yet - I much prefer the first shot because the perspective is much nicer (and not closed as it is on the second shot) and it really allows the spectator to have a dream.

The composition of the first shot is really better too, with the symmetrical buildings and the virtual horizon line being at the lower 1/3 of the picture (not just in the middle of the short side of the frame as it is on the second shot).

Not taken from the open air but - very probably - from behind a dirty glass, those photos cannot be sharp and haven't to be so the extra bits of sharpness doesn't help the second shot to look better. I prefer photos with people on them too, in general. But in this case, the total lack of anything alive makes the first shot even better.

Great pics, Jon. Tons of atmosphere!

Thanks Peter!

I agree with Erik, those photos are excellent. Yet - I much prefer the first shot because the perspective is much nicer (and not closed as it is on the second shot) and it really allows the spectator to have a dream.

The composition of the first shot is really better too, with the symmetrical buildings and the virtual horizon line being at the lower 1/3 of the picture (not just in the middle of the short side of the frame as it is on the second shot).

Not taken from the open air but - very probably - from behind a dirty glass, those photos cannot be sharp and haven't to be so the extra bits of sharpness doesn't help the second shot to look better. I prefer photos with people on them too, in general. But in this case, the total lack of anything alive makes the first shot even better.

Thanks Nicolas! You are spot on in assuming that the photos were taken through a window. I pressed the filter on the lens up against the glass to avoid reflections and to act as a tripod. The glass was fairly clean, but it would have certainly affected sharpness. It was pouring rain when I took these shots, so getting sharp crisp images was not my intention. The glow in the highlights is actually mostly from the mist created by the rain bouncing back off the roof etc., not due to the lens.

some pictures with the LTM version, with M-adapter on a CL. APX100 in Rodinal.

U27021I1544166641.SEQ.0.jpg

U27021I1544166642.SEQ.1.jpg

U27021I1544166643.SEQ.2.jpg

Back