Voigtlander Ultron 35mm F2 Aspherical Images

Jon, Thanks very much for getting these shots up so quickly. That's a very convincing lens.

bokeh and everything remind me on old Ultron ltm... i have it and i love it! but i think this new one have better contrast. (also lens design scheme is pretty close to ltm version-if i found good ones-it was really hard to track them down)

Seems like a pretty good "straight up the middle" performer, Jon. I'd echo the question about focus shift, but it seems like a winner. I have a 35/1.2 Nokton that I love. . . here's hoping that the f:2 is its reasonably priced little brother.

Nice snaps too . . .;) :bthumb:

Here's a few quick shots snapped today to finish off a roll of film. Nothing artistic.

First up, looks pretty much distortion free to me.

Voigtlander Ultron 35mm F2 Aspherical by Jon, on Flickr

And handles shooting into the sun just fine.

Here you go. F2 @ 1/30 then F4 at 1/8 hand held (did my best, but don't go judging sharpness from this).

F2 then F4 (I forget the shutter speeds)

F2 then F4 (again I forget the shutter speeds)

Nice work Jon, getting these up so fast! Sweet little ‘cron killer!

Any intel on when this lens might be available in the US?
I haven’t seen anything official but I saw a post from someone that was not camera quest on FM forums that camera quest is taking preorders starting tomorrow with Feb 5th shipping.

Pretty surprised there hasn’t been an official announcement here.

Yes and big thanks to Jon for the samples.

Last edited:
I see some pincushion distortion. Look at the main building’s vertical line on the right.
I see the same w my Leica Summicron 35 asph...

I think you're seeing perspective distortion. Looking at these images (and others I didn't post) at full scan size, I'd say if anything the Ultron has very minor almost imperceptible barrel distortion, which is fine in my book. I can see the Cron ASPH's pincushion distortion without really even looking for it. Anyway, I will do a direct shootout with these lenses, so we can see for sure.

I think you're seeing perspective distortion. Looking at these images (and others I didn't post) at full scan size, I'd say if anything the Ultron has very minor almost imperceptible barrel distortion, which is fine in my book. I can see the Cron ASPH's pincushion distortion without really even looking for it. Anyway, will do a direct shootout with these lenses, so we can see for sure.

can you show me some examples of cron asph pincushion distortion? i can't see it in my images, and i'm not finding any examples on flickr that really show it.

Are all Ultron lenses with identical lens design? I have a 50/2 Ultron, for example.
Raid, no, it seems the names are speed related, generally as with Leica lenses. But some modern Heliars' construction are true to the historical name. (like the 50 f/2 and f/3.5 but the 75 f/2.5 Heliar is a Planar-pattern while the 75 f/1.8 Heliar is akin to the old Leica 73mm f/1.9 Hektor) Ah, well...

Here's one (4th photo). I'll post some direct comparison shots with the Ultron later.

thank you, yes i see the slight inwards bow at the edges. i suppose i'm one of the few that prefers slight pincushion to slight barrel.

i imported your Nikkor 35/1.8 and 35 asph images into lightroom. to bring both to zero distortion, where they are nearly indistinguishable from one another, i dialed in +2 for 35/1.8 and -1 for the summicron asph. i'd say that's an excellent performance from both lenses.

I have to say this looks really promising so far. Thanks for getting these up so quickly Jon! Bokeh looks to have a little swirl (which I happen to like) and neutralises very quickly as it's stopped down. Looking forward to the comparo with the cron ASPH.

thank you, yes i see the slight inwards bow at the edges. i suppose i'm one of the few that prefers slight pincushion to slight barrel.

Strangely enough, the pincushion distortion varies with the focus distance, so it looks obvious in some images and not so bad in others. IIRC Ken Rockwell covers it in his review of the lens.

Bokeh looks to have a little swirl (which I happen to like)
Totally agree, Gavin. I quite like the swirl too.

Back