Venice Carnival 2009 - best time?

--

-
Local time
1:48 PM
I am contemplating going to the Venice Carnival in 2009 for 3 days - now the big question is - when does the most action usually happens? In the first or in the second weekend? Also, is there any action going on on the surrounding islands or only in Venice proper?

[I know Venice fairly well, aka I have been lost here before :bang:]

Cheers,

xpanded

Hi!

I would suggest first weekend; normally the opening is also very good visited by masks and there are definitely not so much visitors as there are on the second weekend which is the maintime of Fasching (carnival). This makes photographing much easier

regards

thanks cron - unfortuantely I already booked in the 2nd weekend; anyway, it's Italy so always great :)

btw - I adore your "reflections" picture in the flickr collection!

I also plan to go but haven't booked yet. Hope I can make it.

When I booked there was still plenty of available hotels at a "reasonable" price. The main reason for booking so early was to get a 7€ air ticket [per leg though ;) ]

Do not know if you have been there before? If, ignore the next :)

I prefer to stay within Venice itself (compared to the Lido or Mestre) for three reasons. First and foremost one saves a lot of transport time. Secondly this way the city itself gets all the money and not the neighbourhood. And finally [although that may not be the case during the Carnival] the city is an altogether different beast in the early morning and especially at night. So bare, so romantic, so accessible.

cheers

Back