UK Region Used Cameras in London

clarence

ダメ
Local time
2:36 AM
Dear All,

Hello. I will soon be moving overseas to London and staying there for the better part of the next 3 years.

Where I live right now (Singapore), the selection of used 35mm cameras is quite pitiful and so I have been saving up to acquire some decent camera bodies in the UK. With each passing day, my capricious Zorki-4K seems to call out for a new owner.

It would be lovely if anyone could give me some advice on where to get good bargains on used 35mm cameras in the London area, as well as good (but nevertheless affordable) developing, scanning and printing services.

Thank you very much.

With My Regards,
Clarence

Hi, Clarence.

While there are lots of used camera dealers in London, bargains can be hard to find. 70's and 80's SLR's go for peanuts, but rangfinders tend to attract a premium for their relative scarcity. Even my XA cost over £100. Occasional user M's appear for £350-400, CL's tend to be around £450-600 with a 40f2.

Try these sites for price guides as a start
www.ffordes.co.uk
http://www.apertureuk.com/used-Lei.htm

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the advice! I am in fact looking for a 70s-80s era SLR, (a Mamiya, perhaps) so it's alright.

With My Regards,
Clarence

Hello Clarence, bargains in London are hard to find and most second-hand camera shops charge a premium, so you'd be better off trying your luck on Ebay. I've bought all my vintage cameras on Ebay and have not had any duds; just be careful and you may find some wonderful bargains. Having said that, Aperture Photographic in Bloomsbury (44 Museum St) is a wonderful way to spend a rainy afternoon. There's even a cafe at the back of the shop, and Patrick Tang is a great guy. The shop does have a Nikon slant, but will sell any brand second-hand.

Lots of independent camera shops in the area too, but their prices are generally a bit steep.

Jin

PS
As for "affordable" developing, scanning and printing, I'd suggest trying mail order. There are some good pro labs in London but they are not cheap. Try http://www.peak-imaging.co.uk, they've always provided a reliable and high quality service.

Jin

Welcome to the forum. Depending on what you want to buy, ebay probably is your best source - there are some amazing bargains. For expensive equipment I would buy from a store or mail order. There are lots of excellent mail order suppliers around the UK (Ffordes in Scotland is usually recommended). The advertising pages of the weekly Amateur Photographer magazine are a good place to look.

I'd definitely second Peak Imaging (again!)

As always, it's wise to tread carefully with "used" and "classic camera" dealers and London is as bad a place as any. A few years ago, I had a look at a Contax IIa (black dial) in Jessops Classic shop (near the British Museum). They wanted a premium price for it at the time (it would be a high price, even now) and when I did a quick check on the shutter, it didn't open at the higher speeds (a common fault). Needless to say, the take-up spool was also missing! I pointed this out and the sales assistant agreed with me but didn't make any suggestions as to whether that price would include a service, it seemed to be a "take it or leave it" deal. I left with an intact wallet but dropped into the shop the next day just out of intrigue. Sure enough, the same non-working camera back on the shelf at the same price!

Hello,

Thank you to all of you for the advice. I think I'll be a lot better prepared once I get there.

Thank you!

With My Regards,
Clarence

I can only mention one place, never having been there but, thanks to the internet, I did business with them. London Camera Exchange. There's an office in which a chap, by the name of Robin, sold me a pristine Leica SF20 flash for the bargain price of $120. I sent him my credit card info in two e-mails, and he shipped the flash fairly quickly. I'll look up the place but I think it's in an area called the Strand.

Sorry, I haven't been in London for longer than 4 days, and my latest experience was in 1994. However, it doesn't hurt to ask around.

Not an expert on secondhand camera shops in London, but I know of a few.
Around the British Museum there are several (one already mentioned by Mark Wood another by jrong) - they are good but certainly not cheap. Another good one, if quite far out, is Mr Cad. It's an unusual name and normally you wouldn't trust anyone who goes by it, but they are worth it. I bought a Yashica 124G there a year or so ago, fine and dandy! Their shops can potentially cause fatal GAS attacks, you have been warned! If you have an afternoon or so go find them, truly recommended, they sell anything photographic that is pre-AF: rangefinders, SLRs, TLRs, medium format, large format and tons of darkroom things. See their website www.mrcad.co.uk

Hi,
I tend to avoid London for second hand gear. There used to be some very good sellers but many have moved out of London because of the very high rent etc. Ffordes used to be near London and they have moved to Scotland. The good news is that many offer a very good mail order service with overnight delivery. I would hunt on the net when you get here and go that route.

Regards
Kim

I think Kim is right - it might be easier to give a list of dealers in London to avoid because of their prices.

Ffordes do sometimes have some really good deals and offer a really good service by mail order, another source of reasonably priced 2nd hand goods is Collectable Cameras (www.collectablecameras.com). They offer a good mail-order service and will always haggle on the advertised price. I know Simon personally and regularly buy from him / use him to sell on a commission basis.

Hope that helps

Back