Travel to Morocco: Tips?

Ah, Morocco. I've been twice. Cool place.

Anyway, Khaled mentioned Chefchoen. My one piece of advice would be to rearrange your schedule, however you must and go there. It's one of the most picturesque places I've ever been. The town is carved into the side of a mountain and they tinge the ubiquitous whitewash with pink and blue. At sunrise and sunset... bring Kodachrome.

It's a bit of a pain to get to but if you're flying into Casa there's a direct bus so you can tag it onto the end of your trip fairly easily.

Someone else mentioned Essouaira which is my second favorite place for photos. But Chaoen is truly unique. Even if you decide not to go there, Morocco is at its warmest and most accessable in smaller towns. The further away from the cities you get the nicer time you'll have, guaranteed. The touts in cities there are brutal. I would consider trimming your city time to take in some less tourist-heavy spots if possible. (Fez and Marrakesh are must-sees, obviously, but Casa's not as interesting in my opinion.)

Have a great time. I'm jealous.

ray_g said:
Looking forward to a trip in mid-March. My wife and I will be travelling to Casablanca, Fez and Marrakesh. Any advice (photography-related or otherwise) would be most welcome. Thanks.

Marrakech is my second home, so I can't be impartial on the question:
Marrakech, Fez two different cultures, two different dominant colours, two different light, same beauty.
Casablanca, no good. Don't waste your time out there.
When you're in Marrakech, visit the Ourika Valley in the south. There are a lot of Kasbah around Marrakech, and for photographical purposes it's incredibly beautiful. Can't helping showing some pictures of the Ourika Valley (taken by my dad in 1985 - Yashica on Ektachrome)

attachment.php

But I think you've already got guidebooks on Marrakech: Menara, Saadian graves ...etc and of course the Jemaa el Fna square (have a tea, or just mint in hot water, in the café de France). A picture (of me) taken in 2003 I guess.

attachment.php

There's another old café "La Renaissance" which is very interesting - great view. If you want to go out in some cool places with your wife, I know this place "Le Comptoir"; it's not tradional, it's rather a trendy place, lounge restaurant ... anyway, I like this place.

Fez is a complete different cities; it's the oldest arab city in Morrocco. The medina (old part of the city) can be very steep, very interesting for photographical purpose. People are very different too.
Have fun Ray,

Marc-A.

Attachments

• marrakech006.jpg
    marrakech006.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0
  • marrakech005.jpg
    marrakech005.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • marrakech009.jpg
    marrakech009.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
Two more pictures - sorry I can't resist when it comes to Morocco.

When I went to the sixth grade (picture of my fav high school "Victor Hugo" ... ah the ol' good days):

attachment.php

And now, traditional McDo. :)

attachment.php

Taken with a P&S

Attachments

• marrakech007.jpg
    marrakech007.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Victor Hugo 1988001.jpg
    Victor Hugo 1988001.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
I've been to Morocco twice over the past ten years, traveled all around the country. It's marvelous. But you may want to be careful about where you point your camera. I don't know if my experience was typical, but I found a lot of people were very touchy (especially women) about having their picture taken. And particularly by someone who was obviously foreign. There are also some obvious no-go areas for photography, such as mosques and anyplace near a military installation. Other than that, it's a photographer's paradise!

I've been to Morocco more than a dozen times starting in 1968 and just love the place. By world standards Morocco makes the poorest quality carpets so for get those. Enjoy the place and don't let the culture shock get to you. A firm but friendly no works well. I also found a package of cigarettes goes a long way when trying to make friends even if you don't smoke.
You can find a few of my pictures from over the years here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islastchance/sets/72157600062155361/

Back