travel photography

wamjam

Well-known
Local time
4:20 AM
friends,

what's a good travel photography book? i'm looking for...more of an instructional type instead of just a coffee table book on this subject. national geographic has one, it should be good right?

thanks in advance.

All of that National Geographic series -- travel, people, wildlife etc -- are pretty good. There's also a decent travel photography guide published by Lonely Planet. Both suffer from too-stiff bindings. Borders and Barnes & Noble in the US usually have them on the shelves so you can look before you buy. Don't know how available they are outside N. America.

I prefer the Nat. Geo series, though they spend a lot of the books on the basics of photography. After reading the book you're left with a feeling of "why did I bother". :) Yet, there were hints and tips that I wouldn't have thought of before reading the book. :)

RML said:
I prefer the Nat. Geo series, though they spend a lot of the books on the basics of photography. After reading the book you're left with a feeling of "why did I bother". :) Yet, there were hints and tips that I wouldn't have thought of before reading the book. :)
so is the nat. geo series worth buying more than the lonely planet or any other travel photography guide books? or just forget it? :confused:

WamJam, they're not expensive so get (borrow from library?) the Nat.Geo guide on travel photography. You'll see what I mean when you're finished reading it but you won't be disappointed (unless you're already very skilled in photography). Every book (either Nat.Geo, LP, or other) has somthing to offer, some more than others for the price of the book. Try to borrow them if you don't want to spend money on them (which I can imagine).

thanks RML. it's not that i don't wanna spend money on them, it's just the question of "is it worth it".

thanks so much for your help. will try to find one in some local bookstores here. ;)

Nat. Geo series is very good. I have one "big guide" and one "black and white guide" they are instructional and inspirational. Definitely worth it!

My favourite is

R. L'Anson (2004), Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures, 2nd edn (Lonely Planet, ISBN 1741041848, 262 pp)

If you get the chance, check THIS one out. Bob Krist is not only a very good photographer, he is also a good writer.

I second the Krist suggestion. Not only is his book: Spirit of Place very good, but he also has a video out by the same name. Lots of hands-on tips as he travels through Tuscany and Venice. Check it out :)

Galen Rowell had a couple of interesting outdoor-oriented photo books. I personally just put the Nikon on "P" or the R-D1 on "AE" and go...(and always remember to tell people ot take off their hats.)

JC

Back