travel photography: what should I take?

peter_n said:
The tip I like is put the film in with watches and keys.

You're being sarcastic, right?

this will only get your film x-rayed along with the watches and keys, not big deal really as long as it's not TMZ.

I even got my tmz and delta 3200 double-x-rayed (return flight) sometimes, and never ever had a fogging problem.
Hand luggage scanner of course.

Tom A said:
I have always tried to live by the old adage :" Take along what you are comfortable with".

Me too. And here I thought it was just a coincidence we always travel with our wives ;)

I always carried 2 M bodies and 4 lenses (with those double end cap thingys) but since I'm not about to spring for a second M8 I'm using a DLux-3 as backup these days. I've tried a bunch of bags and settled on the Domke F5XB for travelling. I have another bag made by Eagle Creek that's about the same dimension as the Domke, and has a built-in waist-belt, in which I pack the DLux-3, my portable HD, a spare flash, spare IR filters, extra batteries, and chargers for both cameras and the HD, plus a triple-tap extension cord so I don't have to put chargers under hotel desks where I could possibly forget them. My two tripods (a Leitz table-top and a Gitzo GT0540) have their own cases, and all of it goes in a PacSafe DaySafe backpack that has wire mesh imbedded in the lining and a twisted aircraft cable that can secure the bag to something immobile in a hotel. When I'm going through airport security I remove the two smaller bags from the backpack and put them in a gray tub. That has prevented having the TSA rifle through everything in my backpack just to get a look at one thing that caught their attention.

I always agonize over what gear to take on my trips and I always end up taking just a small, quality P&S, plenty of film or digital storage, and sometimes a pocket tripod.

EDIT: For me, the focus is usually on the "travel" part, not the photography. I still wind up coming back with pretty decent photos. I'd much rather enjoy the trip and avoid getting so caught up in taking photos that I don't really see what's around me.

Last edited:
See, I don't get enough photography in my day to day life, so when I get to go on vacation and travel, it is my opportunity for photography, and so I want to have some gear with me, not just a P+S.

My travel kit depends on if I'm going to bring my DSLR or not. Depending on what I'm doing or my goal is depends on what bag I bring. Big Domke or Domke Satchel.
If I'm bringing the DSLR it's big domke, 2 Zoom lenses, 2 M bodies and 3 M lenses. A brick of film and I'm golden. It's not heavy, or bulky and covers all my basis.
No DSLR Means the satchel, which means 2 M's, 3 Lenses, Film, flash, meter etc. Super Light, versitile, and I leave it at that.
No need to make it complicated or heavy.

Gary Haigh

Gary Haigh

I just use a 35mm summicron on my M4. I do sometimes use a 28mm CV 1.9 but it is bit weighty and I walk as much as possible when photographing. Having too much choice with lenses is fatal to my way of doing photography.

Hope this helps.

Bets wishes,

Gary Haigh

Back