Tone-mapping on the way from Color to Monochrome.

D

Deleted member 82967

Tone-mapping on the way from Color to Monochrome.

There are many, many ways to convert color to mono. There are also several fancy ways to map tones from one color rendition to another. However, I find that going straight from color to mono with a simple luminance RGB-to-Y' can result in quite a bland image for my taste.

A while ago, I got the GIMP and discovered fancy tone-mapping in various forms - one of which (Mantiuk 2006) jazzes up a bland color image considerably - enough to where a simple luminance RGB-to-Y'is more than adequate.

A sequence applied to a DP2 Merrill low-res street image:

1 thru 4.jpg

Each step above is at option default settings. Hopefully it is obvious which is which! Bottom Right is Bottom Left with a bit of USM applied.

Not saying this method is best; it is only posted for interest.

What's your method?

There are many, many ways to convert color to mono.

For an introduction to and an exhaustive test of various types of color image and various methods see:

Martin Cadik - Perceptual Evaluation of Color-to-Grayscale Image Conversions Overview

Martin Cadik - Perceptual Evaluation of Color-to-Grayscale Image Conversions

From which it would appear that using only one method does not suit all possible images. So, hopefully, your editor has various options in that regard ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Another technical pre- conversion method (Wavelets) ...

The victim - embedded JPEG from a raw file, un-adjusted ... pretty bland, eh?:

SDIM0676-emb-base.jpg

Some Wavelet processing which allows adjustment by detail size; large selected for cloud contrast:

SDIM0676-wavelets-RGB.jpg

Then 'color to gray' in the GIMP, messing with the parameters, a bit over-the-top:

SDIM0676-wavelets-C2G.jpg

Neat results from that CLAHE application.
I tend to use SilverFX-Pro and only occasionally stray far from their offering of algorithms. I can map tones if desired and I have done so quite infrequently...seems like just one of those case-specific tasks. No?

Neat results from that CLAHE application.
I tend to use SilverFX-Pro and only occasionally stray far from their offering of algorithms. I can map tones if desired and I have done so quite infrequently...seems like just one of those case-specific tasks. No?

Agreed. Different scenes ofren benefit from different parameter values or even processing methods.

Back