Thumbsup vs Lensmate

daveleo

what?
Local time
8:54 AM
While waiting for my new used X100 to arrive, I am looking at the Lensmate and the Thumbsup thumb rests. The Lensmate design wraps around (and "protects") the exposure comp dial.

Can anyone comment on either of these two accessories. I definitely want a thumb rest, but is the Lensmate design "better" ? or even necessary ?

EDIT: forget the ThumbsUp . . . $120 ? ? ?

I had the Horus Bennu thumb thingy on the X100 and it was fine. I then switched it to use on the the X10 and it fit that we'll too. However having sold the X10 along with the thumb grip I now have the Lensmate one on my X100. Works very well and does stop accidental movement of the exposure dial. When I got my Xpro I bought the Lensmate version for that too.

Paul

Thanks for that. I'm going to use the X100 for a while as-is then decide. Thumbs up and Lensmate both look like they would interfere with using the top dials.

The Horus Bennu looks like it wouldn't interfere.

I think your decision is wise. When I first got my X100 I didn't feel secure holding it. Got the lensmate and after using the camera for a few months realized I didn't put my thumb on it that much, as the thumb gets in the way when you use the viewfinder. Once I took my thumb off it I didn't really put it back! One great thing about the lensmate is it protects the compensation dial. Worth it just for this- almost! Finding a used one would take away some of the sticker shock.

As an aside that ridiculous little sticker thingy for the menu/ok button that they sell is awesome! Works perfectly (as it should!). Makes it a lot faster to use.

I am reminding myself that I spent $300 on a leather case for my Hexar. It looks fabulous, but I don't like the way the camera feels when it's in the case !

I think your decision is wise. When I first got my X100 I didn't feel secure holding it. Got the lensmate and after using the camera for a few months realized I didn't put my thumb on it that much, as the thumb gets in the way when you use the viewfinder. Once I took my thumb off it I didn't really put it back! One great thing about the lensmate is it protects the compensation dial. Worth it just for this- almost! Finding a used one would take away some of the sticker shock.

As an aside that ridiculous little sticker thingy for the menu/ok button that they sell is awesome! Works perfectly (as it should!). Makes it a lot faster to use.

Good to know: I also ordered from lensmate their Thumb Rest and the OK button sticker. And I will add a Mr.Zhou half case as well as a Gordy Strap too. All of this should help giving me more grip than the X100 delivers out of the box.

i have tried the horus benu grip ... after using it for a while i realized it was better to not use it. instead i changed my holding position to keep my thumb under the hot shoe (where it says Made in Japan) and put more pressure there and my photos have been more steady. i think my shots have benefitted more from a soft release because the Fuji's release is very hard.

Back