Third Party batteries for the Leica M9, M Monochrom, M8, and M-E (CCD)- Under $20.

Thank you. Ordered two batteries for my M8.2, which I still use quite a lot. I have one original Leica battery that still holds a partial charge and works reliably, a newer Leica-branded battery that works perfectly, and another third-party battery that works but doesn't display the correct charge in the camera.

I have the original Leica charger but I usually use a Nitecore M8/M9 USB-powered charger. Looking forward to seeing how well these work.

I have a M8 and I found at one of the New York stores and original Leica battery new in a "open box", when I first tried to charge it
in the Leica charger it didn't charge so I tried it in another charger an Nitecore still nothing, oh boy this doesn't look good so I pulled
out one of those China made charger's and it worked it started charging. I can't figure that out maybe some else can?, but I also
purchased one of those CS batteries and it seem to work for a spare so far so good. It's a great camera and sad to hear that Leica
doesn't make them anymore but if you need it I guess you have to search for batteries or try different ones out.

If the battery is completely drained- the Leica charger cannot communicate with the control circuit, and it will not try to charge it.
The cheap charger I have- charges it anyway. Once it has a small charge, the circuit operates and the Leica charger can communicate with it.

At $20 a battery, I'm not worried.
I do note that the seller in my first link has some very recent sales.

I've also learned that I could probably hack a fix after taking apart a failed Leica battery and retrieving the circuit board and battery module.

For the BSI CMOS- if Leica had put a real meter in the camera, i'd probably just buy one to test the UV/IR leakage issue. The woman that posted the issue on Youtube replied back- these days most people would rather correct the color in Photoshop instead of finding out what the real problem is. She is picking up a UV/IR cut filter for her camera, my work was done.

On the M9- most people complained about purple fringing rather than just using a UV filter to correct the problem.

I have an M8.2 and I understand that the IR problem was fixed on that sensor so that the IR filter is not needed. I do not use one but do use the UV. I use a UV on just about everything to protect the lens from spilt cotton candy, etc.

Through a screw up I am winding up with 6 of the M8/M9 batteries. That's OK with me. I have more than four already so I think I am fixed for M8/M9 batteries. The M8.2 with that Canon 28mm f/2.8 is great for B&W and you know about the M9, I think. LOL I would hope some new X2D owner does an M9 - X2D color comparison. It is hard for me to imagine a better combo that the M9/Amotal or M9/J8 but the chatter about the X2D is that the color is great. Posted images are impressive. I'd like to see more.

The M8.2 has the same sensor and cover glass as the M8- same IR problem. The M9 fixed that issue, but has a UV issue.

Here is no batteries shortages for M9. None at all !!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175117081340
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...14464_Rechargeable_Lithium_Ion_Battery_f.html
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=leica+m9+...f=nb_sb_ss_deep-retrain-ln-ops-acceptance_1_8
https://www.canadianbatteries.com/leica/5965-battery-for-leica-bm8-m8-m82-m9-37v-1600mah-592wh.html

I have original, made in China, Russian Letters. And I have two cheap.

All batteries works, chip, no chip, coded/decoded. My cheap ones are charging in Leica charger. I just have to use them until camera gives "battery discharged" message and then Leica charger does charge them.

But here is what only smart person as me was able to figure out :D With cheap one Leica will take few exposers and report it as discharged. All I have to do is to press shutter release button again and Leica recognize it as charged battery.

I ordered a pair, and then thinking I might need more ordered another pair and somehow got an additional three sent to me. With what I already have I think that makes about a dozen M8/M9 batteries. More than enough. But you never can tell, . . .

How long could one store a new battery?
Is it different for 3rd party or Leica original?

Disclosure: I’ve a 2016 M-P 240 and the battery is as good as new in terms of staying power. But I’m sure it will deteriorate. So I’ve been thinking of getting a spare.

Back