X100V - ACROS film simulation
Niigata Prefecture, Japan - July 2023
Image is lower resolution than original​

Is it Pictorialist? I don't know​
DSCF0046.jpg

X100V - ACROS film simulation
Niigata Prefecture, Japan - July 2023
Image is lower resolution than original​
Nice photo, with those clouds and the mood. I'd say the one thing for me that makes it miss being a fantastic shot is that the top of the tree is bare. Had it some nice foliage up there, then wow.

Just my 4¢ (adjusted for inflation)

Yeah. I can't remember the last time I climbed a tree to tape some leaves on it to make a better shot.

The tree being bare at its top captures the mortality of us all, being at the end of life- death starting at the top, and working its way down to the ground. As falls on us all.

Deep. Much better than saying eventually everyone goes bald.

Last edited:
Although that is my personal choice of languages for writing all of my image processing code, the first written in 1979, Extra points given even if you use C, C++, Java, or any other language of your choice....
The C family is the work of the Devil and is almost a guarantee you will shoot off your feet. You can be real cute in the C family but you had better have that wizard's hat.

The C family is the work of the Devil and is almost a guarantee you will shoot off your feet. You can be real cute in the C family but you had better have that wizard's hat.
I learned MIPS R3000 assembly language and C (GNU C for MIPS) in the same week. The assembly language was easier to read. So I wrote 120 or so Macros to make C look just like Fortran. I call it Fortified C. My MIPS assembly beat C by a factor of 5.

Fortran is much more natural for image processing, much easier to declare multidimensional arrays to align with an image.

I learned MIPS R3000 assembly language and C (GNU C for MIPS) in the same week. The assembly language was easier to read. So I wrote 120 or so Macros to make C look just like Fortran. I call it Fortified C. My MIPS assembly beat C by a factor of 5.

Fortran is much more natural for image processing, much easier to declare multidimensional arrays to align with an image.

I regret I did not force my way into tech at Aetna or P@B. I heard often that C was just a lazy way to write AL. I am sure you heard the same. AL told you what it was doing. C is doing too much under the sheets to be sure of what is really doing. Kernighan and Ritchie are going to be in Purgatory for eternity for what they did. I understand that it works on PC's. So does COBOL and AL. As you can see, I was out of step on C.

You mastered your trade tools and had fun doing it. That is the best of all possible worlds. Some folks wonder how you can work at a job 45 years. If you are having fun it barely qualifies as work. And there is the spillover into Sonnars and others.

Yeah. I can't remember the last time I climbed a tree to tape some leaves on it to make a better shot.
Certainly I was not advocating that. I do not like deliberate manipulation of a scene. I would add neither leaves nor cannonballs.

I just thought, in my humble opinion, that a full tree canopy would've had more appeal as a "pictorialist" shot. At least to me.

The tree being bare at its top captures the mortality of us all, being at the end of life- death starting at the top, and working its way down to the ground. As falls on us all.
Speak for yourself, hooman!

Back