That Nikkormat FTn.

I recently sold my FT2 with my 135/3.5. The seals had turned to goo, the mirror had a nasty bounce, and the film advance didn't spring back like it once did. It's cheaper to buy a nicer one than fix one these days. I do have to say that the camera is built incredibly well, perhaps better than any other. It feels like you could drop it into the grand canyon, go and pick it up and fire away.

LuAb3.jpg

I have an FT2 that used to belong to my mom. I've used it on and off for at least 20 years, and I have to confess that I've never really loved the thing. Big, bulky, heavy, loud... Nice if you're in a brawl, I suppose. Dad's Pentax MX was a much, much, much better rig as have been my several FE2's (and one FM2). And the 135/3.5 AI is sitting there on consignment. Never did like that lens.

Give me an FE2 or an FM2 or an F3HP any day. I'll keep the FM2 for sentimental reasons, and as a backup in case my M6 bites the dust before my film stockpile is depleted.

I have an FT2 that used to belong to my mom. I've used it on and off for at least 20 years, and I have to confess that I've never really loved the thing. Big, bulky, heavy, loud... Nice if you're in a brawl, I suppose. Dad's Pentax MX was a much, much, much better rig as have been my several FE2's (and one FM2). And the 135/3.5 AI is sitting there on consignment. Never did like that lens.

Give me an FE2 or an FM2 or an F3HP any day. I'll keep the FM2 for sentimental reasons, and as a backup in case my M6 bites the dust before my film stockpile is depleted.

I have an FE2 and once owned the F3/T Champagne and as nice as they are, the FTn is simpler in design and built tougher. It is an elegant machine albeit with a few ergonomic quirks like the shutter speed selection and a wonderful meter on the top plate.:angel:
Now if I can only get someone to replace the focusing screen for me....

It is an elegant machine albeit with a few ergonomic quirks like the shutter speed selection and a wonderful meter on the top plate.:angel:
Now if I can only get someone to replace the focusing screen for me....

I always liked the focusing screen of the FTn with only microprisms and no rangefinder. Also the speed indicator in the viewfinder was perfect.

Strange that no-one mentions the Nikkormat EL. This camera had the most beautiful focusing screen ever seen. But the bodies died after a while and there were shutter problems. Not so with the FTn.

Erik.

6804706976_c079bb87f5_z.jpg

A silver FT3, my daily 35mm, plus a black FT2. Fabulous street cameras, tough, easy, reliable. Solid tools, though not as elegant as OMs. Shot this last weekend on I-10 outside Benson, AZ. Tri-X.

French?

French?

6804706976_c079bb87f5_z.jpg

A silver FT3, my daily 35mm, plus a black FT2. Fabulous street cameras, tough, easy, reliable. Solid tools, though not as elegant as OMs. Shot this last weekend on I-10 outside Benson, AZ. Tri-X.
Gees-em ! I though it was the English that went in for the double-Decker vehicles.;)

Thanks, Dave, I use a 52mm ti 55mm step up ring for the Minolta hood. My Nikon hood has the quick detach buttons, and it quick detaches too often. Plus, I have a selection of 55mm filters from my SRT 101.

I like the quote in your sig.
Gary

Mirror slap

Mirror slap

You can dampen mirror slap w/ Jon Goodman's higher density foam than the light seal variety to help.

Erik,

Really enjoying your posts from the Nikkormat. Where else can someone see great images from these cameras?

Thanks for these and keep posting!:)

That Orwo NP20 gives lovely tones. I gather it is an old German film? Is there any relation to it that is available today?

Sorry to hijack the FTn thread!

Simon

Erik, you're killing me!
Awesome stuff!

Keep em coming. :)

Edit: How do you like the 50mm f2 Nikkor-H?
If seen several FTN sets for sale, that come with this lens.

i'll echo everyone's sentiment here - great work, erik. i've been debating purchase of the nikkor-n 24mm 2.8...i think you've helped me make up my mind!

I don't know what you are doing with your prints, Erik... but they look timeless, no matter if it is from a Leica or a Nikkor lens. Wonderful.

I am a sucker for the Nikkor-H 50, by the way.

Great shots here Erik.

The Charing Cross shot and the young lad with the sandwich are so nice. Impressive quality.

How about a book? Seems you've been at it a long time and have lots of great shots to pick from.

Back