Sundance Channel photographers series starts 3/3

imajypsee

no expiration date
Local time
8:33 PM
photographers include
Tina Modotti, Tierney Gearon. Tina Barney, Robert Mapplethorpe, Cartier-Bresson, William Eggleston, Helmut Newton, Herman Leonard, Peter Beard...

East Coast times start at 7PM, with two films each night.

Sundance showed the series a few months ago on Bill Eggleston & Helmut Newton. Very good! If they show the old series it's worth a re watch. If it's an all new series then much the better. The week long photo series on Ovation was fantastic.

does anyone know

does anyone know

what medium camera Eggleston was using? I watched the documentary twice and couldn't figure it out.

thanks if you can help... or, even if you can't :)

Mary in Florida

Has anyone seen "Helmut by June" it was on HBO or showtime a while back. But not on DVD (or torrents for that matter)....

Hey, thanks Cale Arthur!

Hey, thanks Cale Arthur!

It was also my guess that he was photographing with a Mamiya Press camera, but I was too lazy to search for it. I'm a total Eggleston devotee/fan/nut....the documentary sort of took the edge off for me, (the scenes with Leigh Haizlip were gruesome to watch.. I have alcoholics in my family) but at the same time I was fascinated to see Eggleston work and his explanation of "talking" about photographs not making sense was enlightening. OTOH, I couldn't help but recall his declamation that he is "at war with the obvious" and noting that he makes the obvious real, for me anyway. I think he means to say he is making war WITH the obvious.... but, there I go talking about photographs.

thanks again,
Mary in Florida, USA

Cale Arthur said:
I could be wrong, but i thought it was a Mamiya Press?

EDIT: suspicion confirmed - Mamiya Press Super 23.. here's more info:

http://www.eyescoffee.com/collectcamera/mamiyasuper23/index.php

--c--

Cale Arthur said:
I could be wrong, but i thought it was a Mamiya Press?

EDIT: suspicion confirmed - Mamiya Press Super 23.. here's more info:

http://www.eyescoffee.com/collectcamera/mamiyasuper23/index.php

--c--

I don't want to seem superficial. Having said that-- the Mamiya Press Super 23 is one UGLY camera. Looks like a sort of Franken-camera.

I don't mean this in any sort of negative way. I'm a huge fan of Eggleston also, and obviously he used it to good effect. I'm just sayin'....

re Mamiya press

re Mamiya press

well, after looking it over, it seems like a pretty interesting setup. I like BIG negatives and I haul a RB67 around so the Mamiya Press would seem small... I think. However, I can't see myself investing in one at this time. What I need to do is get back to color film. Not something I do at all at present.
What do you like about Eggleston? I'll go first and say it's the normal wierdness of his subjects/POV and the way he works light. When I first saw an Eggleston photo I knew there was hope for me as a photographer. By that, I mean that I knew I didn't have to go to exotic places to find my subjects; I could just photograph what was around me. My life and locale were every bit as good as, say, Paris or Africa.

Back