New York Stolen gear!

Yeah, it is the kicker of customization that really sucks. I scored a few brilliant deals on the DK17M viewfinder and the split-prism focusing screen for the D2Hs. It was rapidly becoming my favorite digital camera and I was looking forward to doing some IR photography with it too. It's going to be hard to find that very kit combination again without finding my exact camera.
We'll see what happens though.

Phil Forrest

Phil,

Sorry about the theft, man....really.:mad:

As far as the superb D2Hs, Adorama has a Nikon Refurbished one for sale...might look at it for a replacement.

Hope ya get that no-good thief one day.

This is sad. I hope that you will bounce back and earn as much or more than before. It is infuriating that a burglar does such a thing to you.

Sorry to hear about this, Phil.

If you've ever had your place burglarized, it gives you a really creepy feeling, knowing that someone has invaded your privacy.

I hope you get your gear back and that the perp is caught and spends a bit of time in jail.

Some punks broke into my brother's place several years ago and stole some collectible pistols (not meant to be fired). He got only a few back.

Good luck to the OP.

Coincidentally, this week the crime stats for 2011-2012 have been published here. In this region of NL the clear-up rate for burglary is 3% - and that doesn't include the break-ins that aren't reported to the police of course. It seems a pretty fail safe way of getting an income unfortunately. :(

Really sorry to hear of this. I hope the cell phone will give the police sufficient leads to catch the miscreant(s). I can't imagine loosing some of my favorite cameras, no matter how. But to have them stolen would be worse.

I really hope yours is recovered, and that whoever stole it is properly rewarded.

If you've ever had your place burglarized, it gives you a really creepy feeling, knowing that someone has invaded your privacy.

Second time the above has been mentioned, and well worth repeating. Victims of home burglaries or home invasions commonly have feelings of being violated. It can be pretty bad, to the point some people are best to seek counseling. Don't you or your room mate feel like something is wrong with you if you feel that way. After all, we tend to think of our home as our castle; safe and unassailable.

Really sorry to hear of this. I hope the cell phone will give the police sufficient leads to catch the miscreant(s). I can't imagine loosing some of my favorite cameras, no matter how. But to have them stolen would be worse.

I really hope yours is recovered, and that whoever stole it is properly rewarded.

Second time the above has been mentioned, and well worth repeating. Victims of home burglaries or home invasions commonly have feelings of being violated. It can be pretty bad, to the point some people are best to seek counseling. Don't you or your room mate feel like something is wrong with you if you feel that way. After all, we tend to think of our home as our castle; safe and unassailable.

Second that.

Phil, if your landlord is decent, ask if he would be willing to install a security gate and bars on windows.

As far as I am concerned, bars on the windows are a superb idea, whether you live in Newark, NJ or Missoula, MT. Just be sure one or more can be easily opened from inside in case of fire.

Randy

Update

Update

So, I just followed up on the police report and it's pretty much shelved. Not closed but there really isn't any action being done on it and I completely understand why. It's a few thousand dollars of property lost and the police have a lot bigger fish to fry than my gear. The thing about the gear is that when it is eventually found, it will probably finger a perp who has a record.

The gear I lost is not so uncommon but the way I had my D2Hs configured is pretty much one of a kind. The D2x was also a bit unique so they will eventually leave a trail of crumbs, of that I'm pretty confident.
The lenses aren't unique in any way except the three scratches I put into the massive front element of my 14mm which made it virtually unsellable. I wouldn't be surprised if the perp can't find a buyer and just throws the stuff into the garbage, that's the sad part.
I can post serial numbers of everything here if members think that's prudent. Not that I am banking on getting any of this back but if it is found it could take a camera thief off the street for a while.

My building super put bars on all the windows and he still thinks it's the neighbors, and I tend to agree.

As for the future of my gear, the RFF community and the LUG really stepped up in an amazing way. Thank you all very much!

Phil Forrest

I had a ton of gear stolen once. I got it back by dropping off my cards with all the serial numbers written on the back. I was able to buy it back from a pawn shop for $250. The police were more interested after I got it all back. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Back