Sigma SD Quattro pricing

thanks for the review. interesting to hear that IQ may be better than dp2m.

I've just bought a used SD Quattro and 30mm f1.4 Art so there's one person out there who didn't like it. On the other hand, I love it.

I'm treating it as a medium format camera loaded with 100 ISO slide film. In fact, I haven't even tried it yet at higher ISO levels.

I think everyone knows it's not a camera appropriate for sports or action. The reviewers who gripe about this are missing the point.

To my ageing eyes, the image quality is an improvement on the DP2M that I owned (and gave up on).

The auto focus isn't quick. The lens is terrific. I like it.

Dean,

It's very early days and I'm not a technical hot-shot on this stuff but, so far, I prefer the look of the images I'm getting with the SD Quattro compared to the DP2M. I've had a few prints done and, personally-speaking, they are a definite improvement. Interestingly, the guys at the lab commented favourably on the files and I hadn't mentioned what camera they were taken on.

All my pro work is done on Canon and, occasionally Nikon, but my personal work was mostly on film. The SDQ has made me change my mind, my film days are coming to an end!

Oh, by the way, I even like the sound of the shutter. Silly but true.

ultimately, it's how happy *you* are with it that matters, and it sounds like you are! for me, the merrills really slowed my film shooting, so i know how you feel.

Dean,

It's very early days and I'm not a technical hot-shot on this stuff but, so far, I prefer the look of the images I'm getting with the SD Quattro compared to the DP2M. I've had a few prints done and, personally-speaking, they are a definite improvement. Interestingly, the guys at the lab commented favourably on the files and I hadn't mentioned what camera they were taken on.

All my pro work is done on Canon and, occasionally Nikon, but my personal work was mostly on film. The SDQ has made me change my mind, my film days are coming to an end!

nice to see someone actually owning and using these new Sigma's. any more info for us RFFers to read? hows the camera operation, focusing speed etc? am personally curious and had SD15 in the past, but the options these days are quite overwhelming and so many brands and models to choose from.

edit: was googling about and learned these cameras can save DNG raw files. big plus imo. link:
Lossless compression RAW data (14-bit), DNG (No compression RAW Data 12-bit)*, JPEG (Exif2.3), RAW+JPEG

"nice to see someone actually owning and using these new Sigma's. any more info for us RFFers to read?'

One of the big plusses for me is the EVF. I didn't enjoy using the poor quality screen on the back of the DP2M.

I note that a number of reviewers have complained about the placement of the finder in the middle of the camera. However, as someone who uses his left eye, it's no worse than many other cameras on the market.

My main use of this camera will be for portraits. This means that the slow AF isn't the deal breaker it would be for others. In my limited use so far of the camera the focus is just about fast enough. Truthfully, it's snail-like but I can live with it.

In the next week or so, I've got a portrait shoot coming up that I'm really excited about. I'm keen to see to how the SDQ fares in a real-world scenario. I want to use the Sigma for this shoot purely for the look of the image I can think I can get with it.

I can't say a lot more really. I'm treating the SDQ as though it were a Rollei TLR loaded with 100 ISO slide film. I wouldn't try and shoot say sports or a fashion show with a Rollei and I won't use the Sigma like that either. The SDQ has a very limited range but within that it's capable of extremely pleasing results.

Back