Sigma says its full-frame Foveon X3 sensor ‘should be’ ready 'sometime this year'

It sounded more like the prototype of the sensor should be ready some time this year. That is a ways away from getting into a camera.

It will also be interesting to see how that sensor would do with something like an L mount and adapted lenses. I had a SD Quattro H and it had lots of color shifts with adapted lenses. With a larger sensor and short flange focal length that is likely going to be troublesome.

Shawn

Mr Yamaki mentioned about the disadvantages still present in foveon, namely poor iso performance, and unfortunately itll likely still be an issue when the new sensor comes out. Imo the fp already gives out quite good colour thats serves as a good base for post production.

But if the new sensor can mitigate those in a acceptable level then the new much anticipated foveon will surely be a hit.

I have been one of Sigma’s biggest fans for a long time. It’s not always easy being a Sigma fan. Quattro, Quattro, Quattro… the best photography of my life and the biggest headaches of my life have been using Sigma cameras.

I bailed out when they introduced the FP. What was I supposed to do with my SA mount lenses when the FP used L-mount lenses. I felt betrayed. I sold everything. Loyalty is, I guess, not my strong point. Although I do adore the Sigma “I” series lenses in Sony E-mount.

If Sigma ever makes a camera that takes Sony E-mount lenses (without an adapter) I’m in! Until then, I’m out!

All the best,
Mike

I love Sigma and I love their Foveon. I don't even care about the Foveon's iso performance, although the processing and autofocus slowness of the Merrills I have are boring. I assume, although I don't know why, that the new Foveon will be in an L-mount body, hopefully an fp type, so I can use my I-series lenses, which I also love. Did I say I love Sigma?

I love Sigma and I love their Foveon. I don't even care about the Foveon's iso performance, although the processing and autofocus slowness of the Merrills I have are boring. I assume, although I don't know why, that the new Foveon will be in an L-mount body, hopefully an fp type, so I can use my I-series lenses, which I also love. Did I say I love Sigma?

that would seem the most likely because can't really see them spending more R&D money to create another crazy camera. it would just be too weird if Sigma gave us a regular camera...
i agree though even if it's poor iso, colour fringing and all that "classic" stuff, would still be hard to say no if it was an fp L-mount. Reminds me of:
https://leicarumors.com/2013/04/02/you-can-now-add-leica-m-mount-to-sigma-dp-camera-for-300.aspx/
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4347999

The last great Sigma for me was the DP2 Merrill. Slowest camera ever, had to use horrible software, ISO 100 or 200 only (for color), but man... could you make huge prints from that APSC 15mp sensor. 24x36" was the largest I did, but there were 0 artifacts. People talk about special sensors a lot, but the Foveon is truly different.

FA Limited, those DP mount conversions are very interesting! If I had known about them at the time I would have been very tempted to send mine in. The boat has sailed now though, and of course I want it full frame.

Jsrockit, totally agree about the DP Merrills. I have all 3. Slow as wet weekends, and totally limited, including the klutzy software, but boy are the images amazing.

Funny, I'm looking at images taken with my original DP1 and loving them. While CMOS and CCD sensors surpass the DP1 on many metrics, the images from the DP1 have a look and colour palette that is almost unique. I feel that this was lost with later iterations like the Merrill sensor cameras; I have a DP2 Merrill and frankly can barely use it due to the difficulty with colours, not to mention the even worse battery life and clumsy operation. As for a full frame Foveon sensor, it's interesting but not something to make me excited, given how I feel about the Merrill sensors.

If Sigma can maintain the simplicity of operation that we saw with the Quattro DP cameras, this will be a great camera. The fact that they are pursuing a true 1:1:1 Merrill-style sensor is a good sign, but I hope the pursuit of speed and forgiveness doesn't neuter or kill the project altogether. The Quattro DP cameras are still the only cameras I use for my personal work.

Great news that there has been continued internal development on this project.

Back