Sigma fp

Black

Photographer.
Local time
9:36 AM
First! lol

Full frame mirrorless, Bayer sensor shocker!
Worlds smallest FF system offering.
Seems to be very cinema oriented.
Looks like a pre-Quattro dp, but with interchangeable lenses.
Not sure about the full time electronic shutter, but what do I know.

Opinions: GO!

I looked and blinked ... I could have sworn I saw my DP Merrill. :p

I still have both of my DPMs and still love the little jiggers ... what an interesting little camera this appears to be and what an amazing company Sigma is. :)

Price, price, price. Given the Panasonic S1's rather high price point this won't come cheap as well.

BTW both the EOS RP and the original a7 are just about 2 oz heavier and come with viewfinder, hotshoe and (in the RP's case) fully articulated screen. Stiff competition out there.

Love that they kept the 21:9 mode of the SQ Quattro in it. Full frame and with adapted lenses this could be fun for panoramic shots.

Shawn

This is really funny - I clicked on the link to Sigma's Global Vision site about the camera... and the page is taking a wet week to load! I hope it writes images a little faster...

OK it's loaded - looks very interesting so far.

Edit: "The SIGMA MOUNT CONVERTER MC-21 allows SIGMA SA mount and SIGMA’s CANON EF mount interchangeable lens owners to use their lens investment on L-Mount camera bodies."
- I wonder if Canon EF lenses can be mounted on the FP (and other L-mount cameras) with this adapter?

Note also the FP appears to only have an electronic shutter (not a mechanical one).

Price, price, price. Given the Panasonic S1's rather high price point this won't come cheap as well.

What does the price of the Panasonic have to do with the price of the Sigma? Other than sharing a mount they’re completely different cameras... After all, the S1 is a completely different price to the Leica SL.

Edit: "The SIGMA MOUNT CONVERTER MC-21 allows SIGMA SA mount and SIGMA’s CANON EF mount interchangeable lens owners to use their lens investment on L-Mount camera bodies."
- I wonder if Canon EF lenses can be mounted on the FP (and other L-mount cameras) with this adapter?

Should be able to. I have the Sigma MC-11 (EF to Sony E mount) and use Sigma and Canon lenses on my Sony.

Shawn

What does the price of the Panasonic have to do with the price of the Sigma? Other than sharing a mount they’re completely different cameras... After all, the S1 is a completely different price to the Leica SL.

I believe the price of each brand are coordinated to a certain degree to reflect different roles they play in the L-mount alliance. If they compete fiercely with each other there won't be much chance standing against the other big boys right?

It would certainly be nice if Sigma would price the FP at a lower price point like the EOS RP's budget $1300. But lenses aside, Sigma cameras were never cheap, especially so after it re-imaged itself as a semi-premium manufacturer with a series of high quality products under Mr. Kazuto Yamaki, the young successor of the company. So until the dream eventually comes true, I won't hold my breath for it.

A cine camera, doesn't look very practical for still photography. Unergonomic, no thumb and index finger wheels, standard shoe only as an add-on, doesn't look like it has a tilting screen and the eye-level finder is an abomination...

A cine camera, doesn't look very practical for still photography. Unergonomic, no thumb and index finger wheels, standard shoe only as an add-on, doesn't look like it has a tilting screen and the eye-level finder is an abomination...

Also, despite having an external microphone jack there's no headphone monitoring jack. That seems a strange omission given how they're advertising it as a cine camera as much as a stills camera.

Another interesting thing for still photography is:
"Flash Tuning Speed Max. 1/30sec. * 1/15 sec. or less at 14bit".
Do they mean flash synchronisation speed?

Don't really see what the point of making such a small body when the lenses are so large. It looks neat but those L mounts are pretty big.

Ok, Sigma; you've got my attention.

I look forward to seeing a lot more information about this thing before I form an opinion; but I will say this kind of size and flexibility is exactly what I've always thought COULD be some of what digital camera technology could offer, if we could just get away from being hamstrung by film-era camera designs and lens mounts. It'll be interesting to see what Sigma has here - and what they do next.

Love it.

I like the boxy design and the modular accessories.

Definitely beyond my budget either way.

Don't really see what the point of making such a small body when the lenses are so large. It looks neat but those L mounts are pretty big.

Agreed. Such a small body (with, what, 9 buttons on the back) with those big Sigma lenses is an ergonomic back fire. And no viewfinder...

So small but destined for a tripod. Odd.

Back