Sigma Foveon full frame L-mount camera in 2019

Once you do basic adjustments you can send it to your preferred software as a tiff file or whatever file you choose. No drama.
Never understood the "it's too slow" crowd. It is like they have to hurry upstairs to waiting naked partner, or else.
Once instant coffee was invented the world started its decline. :)

+1

Why everyone is so obsessed with the need for speed in their photography is beyond me. I guess I just don't hold my finger on the trigger long enough. :D

Admittedly I use film far more often than digital, but I also use a Sigma DP3 Merrill and have not had any critical problems. I think battery life is a far bigger issue with the Merrills but the batteries are much smaller than a roll of film and I have no problem carrying as many rolls or batteries as I need.

As for software, I use Sigma Photo Pro to sort my images and then convert the ones I'm interested in. Again, I spend way more time considering the merits of individual photos than Sigma Photo Pro spends converting them. As for speed, Photoshop is no speed demon either.

Whatever, to each his own.

I prefer the slow approach of the Sigma Foveon cameras, but the DP Quadros were in no way difficult to operate, and the post-process was hardly a headache if you were shooting JPEGs for previews. The Merrills, on the other hand, especially the SD1, were not nearly as much fun.

I'd go so far as to say that the DP Quadros are my absolute favorite digital cameras to operate because of the extremely quick thumb controls that allowed adjustment of every important setting within very digestible second or two. Closest thing to the simplicity of a rangefinder camera despite having a fully-featured settings list.

A full-frame Foveon is what I've been waiting for, and we'll hopefully see another re-figuring of the Foveon formula, hopefully something more along the lines of the Merrill cameras' 1:1:1 chips, though I had no trouble with the Quadros rendering for my style of photography.

I've been saving for a new system camera (as I've sold everything buy my DPs and film cameras), and was excited about the new Fuji MF cameras, but this takes the cake. I just hope we get some new DP cameras (DP0 in particular) with leaf shutters alongside the new L-mount camera. I'm beyond excited, never thought we'd see this news.

Hope we get A to L adapter for my old Minolta AF glass, too.

sigma soft is very good, just a bit different. you can't crop, you have to compose well instead... it is not the rule that refers to cropping only.

I prefer the slow approach of the Sigma Foveon cameras, but the DP Quadros were in no way difficult to operate, and the post-process was hardly a headache if you were shooting JPEGs for previews.

No need to shoot Raw+JPEG for reviewing the files. Use Fast Raw Viewer to cull the x3f files directly, it reads the embedded JPEG. And if you are using a Mac there is an extension you can add that lets the finder display the x3fs embedded JPEG directly so you can preview the files just like a JPEG or TIff file.

Shawn

No need to shoot Raw+JPEG for reviewing the files. Use Fast Raw Viewer to cull the x3f files directly, it reads the embedded JPEG. And if you are using a Mac there is an extension you can add that lets the finder display the x3fs embedded JPEG directly so you can preview the files just like a JPEG or TIff file.

Shawn

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. Feel free to PM me about any other Foveon cool development tools or plugins, Mac or Win.

I still look at the images that come out of my DPMs in amazement. This will be very interesting. :)

A few updates I saw recently:

it will use the 1:1:1 design of the Merrill sensor we all love, not the 4:4:1 design of the Quattro.

Total resolution is supposed to be something like 60mp, but that's using Sigmas way of calculating, so the actual MP count of a single layer will be around 20mp. It should mean larger pixels = better low-light performance.

A few updates I saw recently:

it will use the 1:1:1 design of the Merrill sensor we all love, not the 4:4:1 design of the Quattro.

Total resolution is supposed to be something like 60mp, but that's using Sigmas way of calculating, so the actual MP count of a single layer will be around 20mp. It should mean larger pixels = better low-light performance.

Thanks for the update. I found an article noting the same things, except that it is also delayed until 2020.

https://www.l-rumors.com/sigma-anno...ayed-to-2020-and-it-will-have-609-megapixels/

Back