Sigma DP3 grip, any recommendations?

kuvvy

Well-known
Local time
11:53 PM
Got the fantastic Richard Franiec grip on my DP2 Merrill but need one for my DP3 Merrill. Richard has now retired and I’m unable to find another. Anyone here got one they’re not using? Perhaps other DP3 users can make recommendations for a different one. Richards grips were great and I used them on various cameras in the past. Very light, adheres strongly to the camera body and have given no problems. Any help welcomed.

Paul

Paul,

My hack was to combine a Hoodman loupe/cage with a used 1950s pistol grip.
It lets me hold the camera lefthanded and take care of aperture, exposure, shutter with the right. The Hoodman caged the DP screen, and its diopter let me shoot without glasses (and without screen glare). I know you’re a GR guy, too, and this hack works well on the GR too if you want to bring it to your eye or are being infuriated and frustrated by glare.

Even a pistol grip on its own—the kind camera stores have in their Nobody Wants This Crap bins—is worth a try, unless you’re enslaved to Franiec ;). In which case start offering bribes in the Want to Buy section.

The DPQ series offered a Sigma branded screen cage/hood. I use that on my DP2Q (which has its own battery-holder grip on the right). Good luck.

i have the franiec grips on a number of cameras including the merrills, it's so sad they're no longer available. i've been using flipbac rubber grips, which are nowhere near as nice, but better than nothing.

Back