Sigma DP1

what is wrong at low light levels?
alot of noise in the image?

I have the Sigma SD14 (identical sensor) and at high ISO, depending on the lighting conditions, it produces some horrible low frequency chroma noise, that is very difficult to handle (not a problem if you privilege B&W).

That said the high ISO noise is really bad compared with DSLRs, the DP1 is still better than any digital compact around, and up to ISO 200 seems to give a run for their money to mid-range DSLRs, only in a package that fits in a shirt pocket.

I actually have no qualms about buying one (as soon as B&H are shipping).

It offers higher quality than my LX1, with a much larger sensor.

It's small enough to have in my pocket everywhere (going to Argentina again this June).

Compared to the cost of an M8 + lens(es), or the size of a d-slr, considering sensor size... I seem to have no choice! (I can afford US$800, but yes that's a little expensive)

No I don't expect perfection, yes I like fixed-lens cameras, and I find the foveon thing kindof interesting.

I just wish LightZone would offer the sigma raw file conversion (they surely will sometime soon).

Cheers...
George.

Flickr has yet again convinced me to empty my pockets...I just preordered this camera at amazon...but dammmmm, many of the images i've seen are so good! Funny thing is that I was sooo against this camera based on the paper specs. I guess I was wrong.

few interesting shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/houdinifx/2317008760/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hitoshi/2313906466/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saidk/2334879100/in/set-72157604092021476/

Same with me. After reading about F4 and 800 ISO max, I thought: "no way". But after having seen many convincing images, albeit on screen only, I simply had to push the preorder button. IQ wise, the DP1 seems to run circles around any small sensor camera. JPEG output and UI does not seem to be on par with the best, though. I guess one can expect the former one to be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

I have to admit it looks very nice. The jpegs on that rytter blog look great, even the iso 800 one of the tap. And the movies look decent with it too, they seem to have narrow depth of field which i havent seen from point and shoots before?

I am a little tempted by this camera..

I do see it as a possible digital equivalent of my G1 or Canonet...a good street camera, simple, a few decisions already made for you so you can concentrate on the shot, not the gear. If I want to shoot macro, set up complicated shots, do portraits, or take pictures of an owl on the next block (that last is pretty unlikely for me)...that's what I have a DSLR for.

Anyway, it's the color that I find really stunning. I assume the photographers aren't saturating these photos in PS...they seem to have the qualities that are usually associated with slide film.

My biggest problem is the f4 maximum aperture. That just doesn't seem to make sense where this kind of camera would be tempting. Besides forcing high ISO's in the kind of situations I would most likely use it, it guarantees just about everything is going to be in focus. It seems to be just AHPP&S (Another high priced point and shoot).

I realize Sigma was restricting perameters so the camera would always be functioning within the sweet spot of their sensor, but a little more "adventure" on Sigma's part might have produced a more useful camera.

Go to Flickr an have a look at the meanwhile many immages. I bet you'll revise your opinion, at leat partly.

it guarantees just about everything is going to be in focus.

Why do people keep saying this when it is clearly not true? Did you look at the images linked to in this very thread? Have you tried simply running some numbers through DOFMaster? With the larger sensor, the f/4 widest aperture will still produce some nice OOF effects.

but a little more "adventure" on Sigma's part might have produced a more useful camera.

I would also have preferred a faster lens. I would have also preferred a longer lens, as 28mm (equiv) is not my cup of tea - I'd have liked something more like 40mm.

The camera is clearly not my idea of a perfect digital street camera. But I am not going to pretend it does not possess characteristics it clearly does.

I notice the 'but the images are no good' critics have mostly shut up now. It was funny listening to them saying that the DP1 photos looked identical to their precious Digital GR cameras, when anyone with a functioning eyeball could see that was a lie. I think we've seen enough stunning images out of the DP1 even this early in the game that even the DP1 haters have to shut their yaps about the image quality.

But still we hear "DOF from here to infinity" when it is provably not true just by going to DOFMaster and plugging in numbers, or simply looking at some of the photos that show the opposite.

Why?

I do like shooting at f/1.7 a hell of a lot...and 1.4 on my DSLR (Sigma 30mm, in fact, on my Canon). But the DOF is plenty narrow on there, for me.

Unless the reviews are really surprisingly bad, I'm leaning toward giving it a shot. I just spent a week selling random crap I don't use on eBay, and have enough "imaginary" paypal dough to take the plunge.

i've tried the dp1.... i wouldn't waste $$ on it.... totally a non-performer in the noise department....
that is of coz, my very own expectation and view.... i still prefer my fuji f30... :p

Here is Pop Photos conclusion after comparing DOF with a couple of other popular P&S camera's that have 2.8 maximum apertures in their March issue:

"Bottom line? In our opinion, the shallower depth of field provided by the longer focal length lens of the DP1 (needed to accommodate the larger sensor) is limited in scope, and offset by the DP1's f/4 aperture and uninspiring close focus distance. However, we noticed an advantage when shooting headshot-style portraits, but couldn't see a visible difference in DOF when shooting group shots or subjects more than 6 feet from the camera."

You can also look at the images others have been posting in this thread, including those that actually show the same shot taken with a standard digicam or a DP1. And you can (again) simply look at DOFMaster and plug in your own numbers. The math doesn't lie.

I'm not getting this irrational insistence on something that is not so.:bang:

... I just spent a week selling random crap I don't use on eBay, and have enough "imaginary" paypal dough to take the plunge.

Haha, me too. Gotta love the recycling of cameras through ebay to pump up the paypal wallet :) I do it quite a bit...good thing is that I usually dont lose money when I resell and one of the few camera's I've actually hung onto is the Ricoh GRD. I have a good feeling about the DP1.

i've tried the dp1.... i wouldn't waste $$ on it.... totally a non-performer in the noise department....
that is of coz, my very own expectation and view.... i still prefer my fuji f30... :p

I love the f30...it's been my point-n-shoot for a couple of years now. And it's amazing in low light. But outside? On a sunny day? The purple fringing is really bad. I mean, for 200 bucks, you can't beat it, but I think of it as an indoor/macro camera.

It sounds like the DP1 is the exact opposite...great in bright light, poor in low light.

I love the f30...it's been my point-n-shoot for a couple of years now. And it's amazing in low light. But outside? On a sunny day? The purple fringing is really bad. I mean, for 200 bucks, you can't beat it, but I think of it as an indoor/macro camera.

It sounds like the DP1 is the exact opposite...great in bright light, poor in low light.

Yup, I've got a f30 too...love it, but my GRD is now it's replacement due to IQ and manual control :p And this is exactly how my gear will be setup if the DP1 becomes my love bunny ;)

DP1 Dayshots/decent lighting indoor shots (I've seen some pretty darned good low light shots as well..so this may change things)

Ricoh GRD - low light shots, b/w shots

Back