Sigma 17-70mm C on SD Quattro H

Jamie Pillers

Skeptic
Local time
12:15 PM
I just received a Sigma 17-70mm DC "Contemporary" Macro lens to use on my SD Quattro H body. I had read online comments saying this lens wouldn't be great on the H body due to massive vignetting at all focal lengths. But when I looked at images on Flickr, there didn't seem to be a problem.

I ordered the lens knowing I could return it if there were problems. Today I made some test images and I can say that there are ZERO problems using this lens on the H body! :) No vignetting at all as far as I can tell looking at just the few images I made today. I think the online comments might be referring to an earlier model of this lens.

I was getting a bit desperate looking for wide angle lenses for the SDQH. The full-frame "ART" lenses are HUGE, heavy, and expensive. And even the 18-35mm ART lens made for the cropped sensor body was just too big and heavy. But it looks like the compact, light-weight 17-70 "C" lens is going to work out just fine!! :)

When I get out into the city/landscape this week, I'll make a few images to post here.

I think the Sigma crop sensor lenses, such as the 17-70mm, will cause the H body to revert to 1.5x crop size, unless you manually turn that feature off. That might be why you are not seeing vignetting, when others are getting it.

I think Mike in Japan uses the 17-70mm, perhaps he can chime in.

Oops! I lied.

Oops! I lied.

I just got back from making more test images using the Sigma DC 17-70mm lens on the SDQH body. In the original post, I said I saw no vignetting with this lens. That's not correct. :bang:

I've just looked at the tests and there is definite vignetting in the corners. Cropping these images by hand, I need to reduce the image file size by somewhere between 10 and 15 percent. If I use the Auto Crop feature of the camera, the image file size gets cropped by 30%.

So I'm debating whether to keep the lens or not. I like the image quality produced by the lens. And I definitely like the small size and weight when compared to the Sigma full-frame alternatives. I'll likely keep the lens until Sigma wakes up and starts making some small, light-weight, less-expensive prime lenses. :rolleyes:

Back