Show Off Your Contax

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/node/4762665

​​​​​​However, your camera will probably work just fine after the technician just relubes the parts moved by the 1st and 2nd curtains, with no further adjustment needed.
Thank you for that. I’d seen it before and made a screenshot of the thread and photos (sometimes internet links become dead). One good thing from that thread is the link to the repair manual:

https://learncamerarepair.com/product.php?product=570&category=2&secondary=23

I took my "user" IIa out on a walk today. I shot using my recently acquired Sonnar 50mm f1.5 and a Sonnar 135mm f4 that I have owned for a while but not used too much. My Biogon 35mm stayed in my pack. The turret finder seems to be an uncommon one, it's a Jena version similar to the 440 finder but larger. It has parallex correction markers conveniently inside the viewfinder, and a magnifying adjustment.

20220911_150921.jpg

20220911_145935.jpg

Thank you for that. I’d seen it before and made a screenshot of the thread and photos (sometimes internet links become dead). One good thing from that thread is the link to the repair manual:

Thank you (and flavio81), perfect timing. I have a IIIa that doesn't always move the shutter curtain on advancing, and I am going to take the top and front off to see what's going on. The IIIa is a little different to disassemble so the repair manual link is very helpful.

Hi Pál and largedrink, just note that the link provided, what people often call the "contax repair manual", is really a parts/disassembly manual. It will only tell you how to disassemble the camera, but will tell you almost zero information about how to re-calibrate it or even how to diagnose problems.

That's why I said the camera is not complicated, just esoteric due to the lack of information.

It also doesn't help that the only source of comprehensive information is mr. Harry S' website (zeisscamera.com), since he is not always a reliable source of info.

Thus the need to open that thread, so more people (technicians etc) can get and contribute some info.

Having at last succumbed to the temptation to go 'post-WWII' with a non-functioning IIa (I have managed to fix and make serviceable a coupl of Contax IIs, with sound advice from a number of RFF members) I would second everything flavio says. My IIa has responded to careful cleaning and watch-oil lubrication (not a difficult task) by all shutter speeds, from one second to 1/500th, waking up and rangefinder function restored simply by oiling the swinging-lens pivot. So far so good, but at 1/1250th the shutter runs closed. I am a great believer that assuming that settings should be left as found, on the assumption that today's problem is simply dried-out lubricants and maybe dirt/corrosion - so should I remove the whole shutter assembly and clean/lubricate further?

One NB from my limited strip-down so far: all the lens mount screws had a thin washer behind them and when an extra one dropped out on the rubber work mat (and did not bounce off onto the floor - I am learning) it was easy to establish where it had to go, as the focussing mount stiffened up on tightening up all the screws but operated normally on releasing one in particular... You have to be SO carefully stripping down these cameras.

I'd love to send it to Henry Sheerer but hell, I only paid £50/$50 for the thing...

Just beautiful! I have a bit of adjustment on one I have replaced the ribbons on before reassembly but hopefully it will approach the nice work you did!

Just realized how far back the post was that I was replying to,,,,however the post by "myquotation" about his Contax II rebuild is still applicable.

CN230100.jpg

My latest addition to the Contax family. 1939 Contax II with a 50mm f/2 Sonnar.

I was only teasing: you have my respect for using it that much (mine sports only one or two scrapes and a minor dent). Funny now to think of how people used to 'distress' their cameras to make them look more professional. One of my late friends admitted ruefully to assaulting his brand new black-paint Pentax SLR with sandpaper, the better to fit in with his 1960s newspaper's staff photographers. I guess this kind of thing is more often done by the eBay fakers in 2023...

Hello. I'm Kelvin, living in Thailand.
It's an honor to join this post.
Here is my Contax iia color dial version that I serviced by myself and also grinded internal part to accept Jupiter-12 lens.

Last edited:
Back