S3 2000 - improving the focus patch by installing a color filter

I’m wondering why the decision was made to put a blue filter over the main finder instead of a stronger yellow over the rangefinder patch window?

Anyone know? Is it worth a try?

Reed
Before I tried out the OP's trick of putting a blue filter over the main finder front window, I had candidly tried to install a strong yellow filter over the rangefinder patch window : it didn't work out, the moving part of the rangefinder patch became yellow in the viewfinder of course but the whole rangefinder patch had even less contrast than before, because the yellow filter cuts the light amount off and annihilates the contrast between the two optical paths within the viewfinder unit.

The yellow or orange filter over the rangefinder window kind of works with a screwmount Leica because the rangefinder optical path and the viewfinder optical path are separated.

On the Nikon S3 the blue filter over the main window allows to enhance the contrast between the two optical paths, by making the viewfinder optical path weaker (and the rangefinder optical path, by comparison, stronger), which is the goal. It more or less produces the same result (without totally "extinguishing" the fixed part of the rangefinder patch, of course) as what is described here :

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-165.html

The blue filter also makes the etched composing frames a bit easier to see in contrejour situations.

You have to get used to that pale blue tint of the viewfinder, though. Sometimes it makes things seen through the viewfinder look a bit sad, as if you were always trapped behind your office windows to look around...

Actually, a small rectangle the size of the projected rangefinder patch, cut from a blue filter, and pasted with removable transparent glue at the center of the front viewfinder window, should provide the same positive results re. the rangefinder patch contrast, without having the whole viewfinder become pale blue when you look through it. ;)

Following up, for posterity:
First off, I’ve successfully done this twice now with no mishaps, scratches, etc. I used small tabs of masking tape which I poked small holes in to ‘mask’ the exterior screws and prevent scratches if the screwdriver slipped. And, on screwdrivers, I think it’s important to use the right ones, Japanese precision screwdrivers, 1.8 for the flat (minus) screws and 00 for the cross (Phillips or ‘plus’) screws.

This time, I tried removing the blue filter that I’d added to the large finder and adding a yellow to the smaller focus finder window instead. As Highway 61 indicated above, not nearly as useful, and there’s no easily removable cover glass to put it under. So, back to blue in the large finder.

This time, I cut a new Lee 708 “Cool Lavender” that I got from my Lee filter sampler kit. It was lighter than my previous one, and to my eye just as effective, less disruptive to the original view. I was more careful to avoid scratches and marks. It’s now really quite nice to use, look through, and focus.

I hope this helps someone in the future, and thanks so much, Jon!

Reed

Good to hear that it worked out.

Out of curiosity I just left a bit of blue ink with a basic office felt pen at the center of the main front window, over the projected frame of the rangefinder patch. I removed this blue "stain" afterwards with alcohol because my S3 rangefinder patch doesn't really need it, but when it was there I was baffled with the result.

So, a small rectangle cut off a blue filter and pasted with a tiny spot of removable transparent glue at the center of the front window would just be the perfect way to go IMO (as for posterity, well...;)).

Just cut a tiny black square from a sticker and slapped it on in front of the rangefinder patch and it definitely has an improvement, although getting it aligned just right is a little more difficult!

This time, I cut a new Lee 708 “Cool Lavender” that I got from my Lee filter sampler kit. It was lighter than my previous one, and to my eye just as effective, less disruptive to the original view. I was more careful to avoid scratches and marks. It’s now really quite nice to use, look through, and focus.

I hope this helps someone in the future, and thanks so much, Jon!

Reed

The black square wasn't working out. It really provided a lot of contrast but because it was solid and not transparent it was difficult to operate. I purchased a sheet of Cool Lavender like the poster above and will cut out a piece to stick in there once I take it apart.

Back