S. Korea and the people

Pherdinand

the snow must go on
Local time
10:19 AM
How is it, to photograph people in South Korea, especially in Seoul?
Do they mind? Do they like it? Do they care at all?
I'm going there for a few days only in the end of January, for work, but will have some limited time for photography too.

Any experience?

I was there two years ago. Seoul is very clean and safe. It's a street photographer's heaven. There are a lot of people on the streets. Koreans are very courteous to foreigners. Little gestures like smiling or waiving your hands can be useful. When you go downtown, be sure to walk through the small back allies. The markets are interesting as well. Have fun.

I think that they won't mind. I know this isn't quite the same, Pherdi, but in San Francisco's Chinatown I carried my large Nikon D700 and used it without any problem. People simply didn't mind being photographed in their stores, working, serving tea and doing other things. There were, however, a couple of very large stores that had a very visible sign in the entrance: "Please, no photography."

If they use "Please" in a sign, I must oblige.

Those two places were the exception.

BTW, I wish I could take a short trip like yours... The snow and cold here are getting to my nerves. I need to make some hot cocoa! :eek: It's the best and only compensation for this weather...

Do they mind? Do they like it? Do they care at all? Any experience?

Tons of experience with this.

Use courtesy and decorum just as you would elsewhere and you'll have a fine time. Learn how to say "hello" and "thank you" in Korean.

The density of the day/night markets, the youth culture of Myeongdong, and the winding paths of the Samcheongdong make for good opportunities for street photography.

Have fun.

Generally, middle-aged and up don't like to be photographed and you'll get frowns and hands, etc. hiding their faces. Young people don't seem to mind it, but you often get the annoying "peace sign" too--their way of posing for a photo. I've adopted an up-close "shoot and scoot" style w/ a 21 or 25mm set at hyperfocal distance to get candids from everyone. If you try to take the time to focus, w/ any of the above, you've lost your candid shot.

I've watched Koreans w/ a camera in public places and they seem to prefer a discreet "paparazzi" or sniper style at long distance w/ a digital SLR and a very long lens.

BTW--this is NOT a very diverse country (2% foreigner population and not too many tourists), so be prepared to be stared at a lot, particularly outside of Seoul.

Last edited:
I think everything has been said already: It's normal for young people to go out with big dSLR cameras, so they're used to people taking photographs in public, although not as in your face like Winograd. However, as Bill said, elders are more conservative and do not like being photographed (they also expect to be treated with more respect).

Also, expect to be stared at, haha. I'm ethnically Korean, but people there kept staring at me and asked if I was from Japan... :rolleyes:

There will be so many photographic opportunities you won't believe it. I think the above has covered the culture of photography. From what I see in the TV dramas, Seoul is like any other big oriental city.

You might like to see the old palace, or MyongDong at night (bar district). Southgate may have been restored by now, but if not, it will be a burned out hulk. Even is restored, you would best photograph it driving by. East market used to be good for shopping and photography. Nam San mountain has a tower that used to be a rotating restaurant. You may or may not be able to photograph from it due to security concerns. The 63 Insurance building used to have an interesting view, but again, photography may not be permitted.

Don't be afraid of the food, but only drink bottled or boiled water. Even hole in the wall restaurants will have boiled rice water or barly tea. Some of them have the best food as well. Careful of the Soju. It is a potato based drink of some potentcy. Many Koreans drink it like water, but if you aren't used to it I would not. You might want to at least try Mokuli, a white, sometimes almost chalky rice wine. It isn't for everyone. Again, rice wines can slip up on you if you aren't used to them.

Do try some of the Korean foods. Bulgogi is a favorite of foreigners as well as locals. Other things foreigners can eat include yakimando, chapchaepap, and pokumpap (fried rice). But don't be afraid of other dishes. If you don't like them you can always walk away. That would include kimchi, but again, it isn't for everyone. It is made from chinese cabbage, red pepper paste, and garlic. It is sort of fermented, but not buried in the ground for hundreds of years as some popularly believe.

Enjoy. I haven't been there in about 20 years, so I don't really know the current Korea. It changed every time I left and came back. Talking to people and seeing the TV, it isn't quite the Korea I knew, but I would guess, still interesting. Most of the people will be pleasant, and some will probably try to practice English with you. Be patient.

Enjoy. I haven't been there in about 20 years, so I don't really know the current Korea. It changed every time I left and came back. Talking to people and seeing the TV, it isn't quite the Korea I knew, but I would guess, still interesting.
Same here. Korea is among the fastest developing countries, and 20 years ago it was a poor third world country that was devastated by the war (my parents emigrated to South America for this reason). I've been to Korea twice, once in 1998 and last time in 2005. It looked so changed in such a short period of time I couldn't believe it. I think there's no problem with drinking water now, but sometimes soju can be cheaper than water, haha.

Some areas you should visit, other than the ones mentioned, are Dongdaemun for cheap clothes (you can ALWAYS talk down on prices), YongSan for electronics, Apgujeong (a fashionable, trendy area) and my favorite: Daehangno; walk through the small alleys here.

Some areas you should visit, other than the ones mentioned, are Dongdaemun for cheap clothes (you can ALWAYS talk down on prices), YongSan for electronics, Apgujeong (a fashionable, trendy area) and my favorite: Daehangno; walk through the small alleys here.

YongSan for electronics? Yep, things have changed. I was stationed at YongSan the last two times I was there. The electronic district was somewhere in downtown Seoul, on the other side of NamSan as I recall.

Good if the water is OK now. It wasn't when I was there. You might be OK with it and you might not. Then most people would drink the barly or cooked rice teas.

I guess now those American servicemen left are Suwon or south.

Back