Rolleikin, show me your images :)

Local time
5:26 PM
Hi,

I just discovered the Rolleikin, and i must say, the MF lens on the 135 negatives is quite spectacular, once i got used to the portrait view.

here are 3 images from yesterday, film used was Ilford's XP2.

show me your rolleikin pictures.

thanks

raytoei

Attachments

• rolleikin-b.jpg
    rolleikin-b.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • rolleikin-c.jpg
    rolleikin-c.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
  • rolleikin-d.jpg
    rolleikin-d.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
one of the great thing about Portrait orientation is that you can create sequences...

"Lisa Discovers the many uses of a Reflective lens cap"

tlr.jpg

Film is XP2
Captured on the Rolleikin

I've never intended to purchase a Rolleikin, but your shots have me intrigued. Does the image area extend into the sprocket holes?

Hi Steven,

i just checked, it doesn't show on the sprocket.

btw, there is a yashica 44a video on youtube where they demonstrate on getting the 135 format on the 4x4.

raytoei

This is as good a place as any to repeat my offer from the Christmas giveaway. I have part of a Rolleikin set (only the film guide/mask/whatever you call it) available for postage. Send a PM if interested.

Jules, excellent images! i like the smooth bokeh.

do you think rolleikin + rolleinar can be used for portrait as well ?

I think Rolleinar 2 will be too close for portrait..maybe the Rolleinar 1 is more suitable.
When you are using the Rolleikin, the FOV will be 80mm which is the common focal length for portrait..

This is very interesting. I very much like Raytoei's triptychs. I'll put Rolleikin on the long list of items I need to buy.

Hi,

You don't have to fit the mask but it contains the film guide and looks essential to me. But I've a very old Rolleikin - the one with the screwdriver in the little tray - and so can't speak for others.

I could be wrong about the set being old, btw, as I've never seen another and have searched and searched.

Regards, David

Once bought a rolleikin set. But when I wanted to use it, there were essential parts missing. Therefore never used it.....

btw I very much like the pictures shown here; never seen the results of a rolleikin before.

I bought a Rolleicord IV off Ebay a few months ago. The seller suggested I look out for a Rolleikin as it turned the camera into a very good portrait taker. Which it does. It took a while before I found a Rolleikin that was complete -- it's often the little screws for the frame counter that are missing -- but I finally succeeded and I'm quite pleased with the result.
Not sure I want to take the Rolleikin out but as I have an old Automat and a Rolleicord II that may not be a problem.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/A5xx8x]000010570020 copy by Colin West, on Flickr[/URL]
Bee Club meeting in progress...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/A5sY5W]000010570018 copy by Colin West, on Flickr[/URL]
...so fire up the smoker!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/A5rJ7j]000010570013 copy by Colin West, on Flickr[/URL]
A wildflower (I used a Rolleinar I with for this)

Funny, I was thinking of starting a thread on this topic this week when it arose again from the depths. After purchasing a Rolleikin kit a couple of years back, I only mustered the courage and energy to try it on my Rolleiflex MX-EVS this last weekend. I was under the impression I would have to do some serious tinkering with the camera, and knowing my skills and that I was dealing with a 70 year old camera, was concerned about ruining a working camera for the noverlty of trying the Rolleikin... As it turns out the installation is quite simple, with only three small screws required to be removed and reattached for the film counter. I was amazed hat even the adhesive glue for the leatherette patch that covers the scres on the counter was sticky and usable! I have had some fun with the Rolleikin and will continue using it, as is and paired with different Rolleinars. I was surprised how well the counter and advance lever works, with proper spacing on the 35mm film from the crank. I continue to be pleased and impressed by the Tessar lens on the Rolleiflex, and having the 35mm option, with 24 or 36 exposures, makes this a seductive walk around kit, with the added stealth of waist level focus and framing.

I have also been using this with a working Rolleilux hood - this includes a selenium meter that folds into the hood when not in use. I know a handheld meter is just as good, but there is something about being able to look down and get in one glance a proper light reading, aperture and shutter settings and focus! The Rolleiflex accessories are always well thought out and well engineered, and with 120 and 35mm capability and the portrait / close up features of the tiny Rolleinars, it ends up being quite a versatile and tough little camera!

Some samples follow - these negatives were for some reason a magnet for dust, so forgive the sloppy results...

Oct15_FP4_D_Rolleikin_11 by Ben Sandler, on Flickr

Oct15_Foma200_D_Rolleikin_18 by Ben Sandler, on Flickr

Oct15_FP4_D_Rolleikin_1 by Ben Sandler, on Flickr

I was so inspired I have started a group in flickr for "35mm in MF" and would welcome your contributions...

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2913610@N21/

Last edited:
Back