Rolleiflex Old Standard...

B & T shutter setting

B & T shutter setting

Not the most intuitive of settings.
For all other speeds you cock the shutter by moving the lever to your right and ‘fire’ by pushing it gently to your left.

For B just push the lever to the left and hold it there for the correct time. Let go when done and the shutter will close.

For T push the lever to the left and let go. When enough time has elapsed push to the left again to close the shutter.

Colin

Thanks Colin -- Yes I discovered that feature, my Heidoscop works pretty much the same way. They still aren't working, but I've decided to let it go for now and will send it to a more experienced set of hands and eyes to fix for me.

Just arrived in the mail today....

Yes yes I know it's a Zeiss Ikon hood for a Contina -- but it fits! And it was inexpensive. And it actually doesn't look too bad.

Rollei Hood
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Okay kids, you have to check out this lens cap. Looks pretty legit eh?

Rollei Cap2
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Rollei Cap1
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Believe it or not, it's actually made of rubber! I found it on eBay, where else. A fellow by the name of Bryan Dahlberg makes these, and boy they are super-duper. $18 shipped. They look the business, fit great, has that 'patina' integrated into the rubber, I mean what's not to like!

Super Duper Nice. Keep going with it. Test with and without the hood, for early glass it usually helps. Looks very legit with all of it. Great fun and images too.

Absolutely gorgeous pictures Vince!

I have a V800 and to be honest the negative holders for medium format are an immense PITA. You have somehow to manoeuvre the edges of the negative under an inflexible lip on each side, which requires an immense amount of finger use and I've never managed it in white gloves. Often the negative remains curved in the holder, which leads to slightly out of focus images.

Many thanks Charles! Do you happen to have any better suggestions than that scanner?

I have an Epson V600 Photo scanner. For keeping the negatives flat, I bought at "Better Scanning" a piece of anti-newton glass for strips of 35mm film, but they provide also anti-newton glass for 120 film.

Using the glass, the negative holders that come with the scanner are unnecessary.

The software of the scanner is quite good, I use it now mainly for scanning prints.

The scanner was not very expensive, about EUR 200, but that was years ago.

Erik.

I have an Epson V600 Photo scanner. For keeping the negatives flat, I bought at "Better Scanning" a piece of anti-newton glass for strips of 35mm film, but they provide also anti-newton glass for 120 film.

Using the glass, the negative holders that come with the scanner are unnecessary.

The software of the scanner is quite good, I use it now mainly for scanning prints.

The scanner was not very expensive, about EUR 200, but that was years ago.

Erik.

Thanks for the info Erik - I’ve wondered if I necessarily need to go with the latest and greatest, maybe a previous generation scanner might be just fine.

As for scanners, best bang for your buck is a macro lens on your Z7 and a good copy stand but if you must dive into flatbeds the last few generations of the Epson with the 8x10 transparency lid (basically a light box) are fine for mosts applications. I suspect the big differences between the Epson 700-750-800 are decorations, the end results are pretty much the same. You can make a smaller scan that's OK or a much larger scan that is full of artifacts that scales down to the smaller size scan you should have made.

You need to disassemble the platen and clean out the residue from the off-gassing plastic.

Get a piece of Anti-Newton glass, 1/4" or so, tape your film with the emulsion to the dull side, keep it flat and tight. Then test the glass with it raised on all four corners using dimes and pennies to determine the optimal height so its in focus on the CCD lens. Then keep doing that for....

Hours and Hours and Days and Days, Forever.

It's like a job you hate but you start dreaming about it anyway.

The optimal scanner is a Flex Tight/Imacon/Hasselblad or the old Nikon Coolscan that does medium format but a lot of the better old scanners are stuck with using older operating systems on vintage computers, a real headache you don't want to get into.

One would think that there would be a market for a professional film scanner at a reasonable price but there is nothing. I think Aztek still sells their drum scanner, probably the best ever, but it costs the same as a nice car.

Photographing your negatives with a decent digital camera is worth the hassle involved in getting it right. Again, no one makes a simple, clean, aligned system that you can simply unbox and use even though it's obvious AF.

The other option is to make quick and dirty scans for internet posting only and then send only your very best stuff out to be scanned by an expert with a drum like Lenny Eiger in California (There is an Italian guy who is good too) but that's serious money.

If you're really cheap and lazy those photo restoration places that ship containers to India for sweatshop scans are really cheap! Imagine a computer farm with dozens of Epsons churning away @95db 24-7 with $2/hour techs!

#Rant You did really great at KEH! And the results are impressive!

Many thanks Frank - coming from you, I definitely appreciate it!

I gotta say that sometimes I think KEH is asleep at the wheel, and I've managed to snag some impressive bargains as a result. One of the other crazy ones I got from them a number of years ago was a repainted Leica IIIcK -- a Luftwaffe version of all things -- for $600. Think those days are gone, but this Rollei was a pretty good snag.

Yes I think for ease of use, speed and quality, the Z7 with my 60/2.8 Micro is fine. It gives me 80-100mb files, and I don't plan on ever printing these guys big.

The big challenge -- as it is with any camera I buy -- is to now make photos that are of some worth. I never thought I'd bond with a square format, as I've done it numerous times in the past, but this camera and the stereo cameras I'm now using seem to be opening up a new way of looking at things. Many thanks again for the encourageement.

BTW I saw that you were looking into Leica I(A) cameras -- funny but I've been thinking of those as well. Wonder if it's this weird thing that once we get to a certain point in life, we look for doing things with more simple/basic tools? Maybe an antidote for all the seeming digital that we have to work with almost daily? Dunno.

Vince, These are wonderful images no matter what camera you used. I really like the tonality from your Standard. How does it compare to the more modern Rolleis you used to own? And did you stop down much for these shots?

Back