Quattro DP2 Problem!

Monday317

Local time
7:32 AM
Hopefully one of you bright folks can steer this goof toward Goodness & Light…

Got my Quattro DP2 a month ago (late April, 2021) from B&H after a couple months backorder. Read the manual, charged the batteries, set up the clock, verified the firmware, all good. Made a few test images in RAW, downloaded PhotoPro, got everything working, happy shutterbug.

Was drafted May 15 to shoot a prom. Had extra SDXC cards knowing at max resolution, I could fit about 30 images on a 256gb card. Used a tripod outdoors, Program Mode, etc. made about 45 useful images.

Kids went inside for dinner on a local riverboat. Put on the small Sigma EF-140s and got a couple candid shots. Wanting to get out of Program Mode, I want to switch to Aperture Priority for more interesting views than the smaller apertures Program Mode seemed to favor.

In trying to make the adjustment, the viewfinder went black. I got no menu, no TTL view, nada. The odd part is, if I push the AEL button, I get into a Mode Select menu that’s perfectly normal, with the regular TTL image coming through fine! Unfortunately, the Internal Camera Level is also in this mode, right in the middle of the screen.

When I saw this, I tried pressing the shutter button and voila!—got a new image. Moreover, back in what should be a Normal Mode, even with the black viewfinder, if I half-press the release, the Auto-Focus works and the camera makes an image if I press the release button all the way down.

All that observed, I put a new battery in as the one installed, charged fully at the start of the day, was a little below 20% and I thought the black viewfinder might be a battery warning. Nope, same issues. I removed the flash for similar concerns. Again, no change. I installed and formatted a new, unlocked, SDXC card (of the correct type); no love. I also tried resetting the camera back to factory specs. Nyet, Comrade…

My last thought was to remove the battery and let the camera sit unpowered until the internal capacitor feeding the clock going might bleed off and reset whatever mode the camera hot itself into. Toying with the idea of updating the firmware, but don’t want to re-energize the clock until I had better information on the issue. Will try Sigma Customer Service as well, though they seem to get mixed reviews.

Anyone have any suggestions?!

[...]

In trying to make the adjustment, the viewfinder went black. I got no menu, no TTL view, nada. The odd part is, if I push the AEL button, I get into a Mode Select menu that’s perfectly normal, with the regular TTL image coming through fine! Unfortunately, the Internal Camera Level is also in this mode, right in the middle of the screen.
I have he DP0 Quattro but I guess both cameras are very similar. When you mention the "viewfinder," I guess you mean the rear LCD screen, right?

When I saw this, I tried pressing the shutter button and voila!—got a new image. Moreover, back in what should be a Normal Mode, even with the black viewfinder, if I half-press the release, the Auto-Focus works and the camera makes an image if I press the release button all the way down.

All that observed, I put a new battery in as the one installed, charged fully at the start of the day, was a little below 20% and I thought the black viewfinder might be a battery warning. Nope, same issues. I removed the flash for similar concerns. Again, no change. I installed and formatted a new, unlocked, SDXC card (of the correct type); no love. I also tried resetting the camera back to factory specs. Nyet, Comrade…

My last thought was to remove the battery and let the camera sit unpowered until the internal capacitor feeding the clock going might bleed off and reset whatever mode the camera hot itself into. Toying with the idea of updating the firmware, but don’t want to re-energize the clock until I had better information on the issue. Will try Sigma Customer Service as well, though they seem to get mixed reviews.

Anyone have any suggestions?!
I apologize if I seem a bit patronizing but did you try to press the Dispaly Button? This is the button labelled 22 on the following Parts Diagram:

attachment.php

Cheers!

Abbazz

Attachments

• DP2a.jpg
    DP2a.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
After reading your post the first thing I thought of was the same as Abbazz, try cycling though the display modes, you may have inadvertently pushed it and the display screen is now on "off."

:confused:
I have he DP0 Quattro but I guess both cameras are very similar. When you mention the "viewfinder," I guess you mean the rear LCD screen, right?

I apologize if I seem a bit patronizing but did you try to press the Dispaly Button? This is the button labelled 22 on the following Parts Diagram:

attachment.php

Cheers!

Abbazz
Thank you, Abbazz, no offense taken. It's often the simple, little things that can screw us up.

IIRC, I did try that but when you mentioned it, I'm wasn't 101% certain I actually did it. I'll see what happens tonight; if it works, I'm indebted for your advice, as I didn't think of it on my own. :bang:

If it doesn't work I intend to scream, whine, and cry like a baby...

Back