Planning an exhibition: What do I ask?

alansoon

Established
Local time
4:58 PM
I'm hoping to put up an exhibition in the next year (actually, this year's new year resolution!). I have no idea what to expect or how to pitch a show.

Can some of you give me some tips on how to go about doing this?

What kinds of questions do I ask gallery owners?
How do you decide on pricing?
What makes a good gallery?

I have done exhibitions not in galleries, but in bars and restaurants.

The bar owner gave me the walls, and I hung the photos for one month. I made up flyers with images of all the photos and prices and told the manager they could sell off the wall and I'd replace the gaps.

Having said that it was depressing to sit in the bar and hear comments like 'How can that photo be €50, I can get my own photos that size for €5. This guy must be kidding.' And that's about a great photo wet printed by a skilled person and nicely mounted.

I stopped doing it.

No gallery is going to give you an exhibit if you have never shown anywere before. You need to build up an exhibition record by being part of some group shows before asking someone to give you your own exhibit.

If there is an art museum or non-profit gallery where you live talk to them about upcoming calls for artists to submit work for exhibits. Often museums and non-profit galleries have themed exhibits (eg. self portraits, cars, landscape, etc) and ask artists to enter work for consideration. It will take you YEARS of exhibiting like that before anyone will give you a solo show because that's an honor given well known professional artists, not beginners (and even if you've been photographing 40 years you are a beginner to the art world's rulers if you have no exhibit or publication record).

Commercial galleries, that is ones that exist to make a profit for the owner by selling work, will not likely be interested in you until you've built up a resume too. Museums and non-profit galleries don't care about selling art even if items are for sale from some of their exhibits....they exist to bring good art to the public, and are often interested in seeing new talent.

And oh, to answer Sitemistic's point -- no, the goal isn't to make money off this. I have a day job that pays the rent, bills and camera GAS. Any money I make will likely go toward feeding increasingly more expensive costs of shooting film.

Back