photo services/net cafes in Tokyo (Shinagawa Prince/Strings Tokyo)

ampguy

Mentor
Local time
4:17 AM
The family is in Tokyo and they've got a handful of 1, 2 and 4 GB sd cards for their various 7-12MP cameras, but it's likely they'll fill them up fast.

Does anyone know if there is a net cafe or photo store within walking distance of the Shinagawa Prince or Strings Tokyo that would offer a service for them to d/l their cards to optical media? Does anyone know if the 7th floor Yahoo! net cafe offers these services?

How about Nara or Kyoto?

Thanks!

I've stayed there a few times, but it has been a few years. I thought there was a 1-hour photo within walking distance. Have you checked with the concierge/hotel staff?

Is the stationery store still in the little adjacent mall? I'm almost through my supply of Pilot extremely-fine-tip pens...

I'm not sure about specific location in Shinagawa, where but there are Fuji film shops everywhere. I would avoid the shops called 55 min or something like that.

Thanks Issy and steamer. The Yahoo! Cafe has USB port access, and there are a few places that will do it for Y2000 to DVD if it's really needed, and cheaper than new cards, might be worth it for the larger SDHC cards.

How about having them buy a "digital wallet", Ted ?

That's what my wife used in Tanzania, worked well.

Roland.

That was considered

That was considered

I have one that I built Roland, it only has a 120GB 2.5" drive, but I could have upgraded it. The idea up until the packing was done was to take along a notebook, but the ~6lb and the thought of the kids surfing the web while on vacation lead to the idea to buy a handful of extras, and then find some service that would burn to optical, which we've found, but possibly more expensive than just buying new media. (~Y2000 for the service of putting a card onto a DVD).

One relative had the bright idea to take lower resolution photos. My kid had to give that relative a quick lesson!! :D

How about having them buy a "digital wallet", Ted ?

That's what my wife used in Tanzania, worked well.

Roland.

You can buy 4GB SD cards for 2,000 yen (or less?) at Dos V Paradise. They'll even let you test the card in your camera to ensure its compatible before you buy. They've got a few shops in Akihabara, but the one I usually go to is in West Shinjuku near the post office.

http://www.dospara.co.jp/top/

P.S. I haven't been there for ages, but there's probably a stack of places that sell cheap memory in Akihabara.

I would second the above comment: "Have you checked with the concierge/hotel staff?"

I use deveopment locations around Tokyo and most provde a service to create DVD / CDs. They might even be able to create a disk in the business center at the hotel. Just pick up some empty disks at one of the discount shops.

Hope everyone has a good stay in Japan and that they take a lot of photos.

CLH

Yep, that sounds like the best bet. If your hotel has a business centre, or even a PC they can loan you, you're set!

Back