photo - Guzzi Falcone

Godfrey

somewhat colored
Local time
12:16 PM

Leica SL + Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8
ISO 400 @ f/6.8 @ 1/60

Not the sharpest macro I've ever shot ... seem to have missed the front plane of the timing cover by a little bit ... but I like the feel of it anyway.

enjoy,
G

One of the prettiest Moto Guzzis I ever saw was a freshly restored Falcone, immaculate in red from head to tail, even its toolboxes and wheels. Simply stunning. Somewhere, I have a photo of it (taken with my old Trip 35), but I wouldn't know where to begin looking for it.

Thank you all for commenting.

This is an early Falcone, still running but normally on display in the front window of a cafe in Pescadero, CA. It's not the later bright red of the OHV Falcones; it's deep burgundy and chrome (and some bits black) of the earlier F-head models with exposed valve gear. A beautiful thing for sure. You'seeing just the bit of the engine on the timing side, the bit that covers the drive to the magneto; the external flywheel (bacon slicer) is on the other side of the engine.

I shot it through the window because the cafe was closed so there wasn't much more I could show of it. I may go back there again and do a whole shoot of just this bike.

I love these old Moto Guzzis. :D

I love these old Moto Guzzis. :D

That was an engine!

Years ago a group of italian passionates shipped their "Falcone" to the USA and toured for many days around the States. It happened that they had to change the piston of one of the motorcycles in a camping ground "en plain air" and after that the engine started at the second kick start!

I had a video tape about it , unfortunately it got lost during one of my move!

nice to see this photo, suggestive!

robert

A friend of mine in San Francisco was involved with that expedition during the section of their tour that included Northern California, so I became involved just while they were in the Bay Area. I had dinner with them and their crew in SF, even got to test ride one of the bikes a short way.

Another friend of mine in the UK has a Falcone set up for racing competition. We met at the Isle of Man when he was entered in the Manx GP Vintage Race event, my gosh, a decade or so ago. He managed a good showing through practice but unfortunately had the flywheel sheer the crankshaft key and spin off the engine as the race started. I was photographing from the grandstands; ended up helping him collect the flywheel and push the bike back to the pits.

I always wanted to own and ride a Falcone, but that's not likely to happen anymore. I have many fond memories of riding my first Guzzi ... an 850T-3 back in the early 1970s. In more recent times, I owned and rode a Moto Guzzi LeMans V from '95 to '05 and an 850T (modified for my liking into a sport tourer) from '94 to '03. I still miss that 850T, one of the sweetest running, finest motorcycles I ever owned.

G

That was an engine!

Years ago a group of italian passionates shipped their "Falcone" to the USA and toured for many days around the States. It happened that they had to change the piston of one of the motorcycles in a camping ground "en plain air" and after that the engine started at the second kick start!

I had a video tape about it , unfortunately it got lost during one of my move!

nice to see this photo, suggestive!

robert

^Well if you ever get to Vancouver , B.C , I'll lend you my LeMans 2 . I'm off to a Moto-Guzzi rally near Randle , Washington in a week , should be lots of fun . I haven't been to
a motorcycle rally in over 15 years ! Peter
ps; the last Tuesday of every month there's an Italian motorcycle meeting on Commercial
drive in Vancouver . Peter

Back