Off again, and taking....

oscroft

Mentor
Local time
2:26 AM
I'm off East again tomorrow - back to Thailand for a couple of months - and for weeks I've been telling myself I'll go minimally equipped this time (no "2 bodies and 5 lenses" kit this time).

I really tried hard to decide to take only my M2 with CV 35/1.4 and Digisix (and lots of B&W film), but I can feel myself failing - I just don't think I can avoid taking a 50 with me. So at the moment I think the CV 50/2.5 will go too.

But with such a small kit I almost feel naked.

(PS: I should perhaps mention that there are other cameras out there that I could use if I have any problems with the M2, but I'm talking RF here).

Last edited:
Nah. You're doing the right thing. Your back and neck will thank you, AND you will have to have some discipline in picture making -- which is a good thing. BTW - if your 50 yr. old M2 fails while you are there, don't you think you would be able to find a camera of some type to shoot with in Bankok?

Good luck, safe travels.

Ben Marks

Yeah, if I have any problems with the M2 I'm sure I can find something else to shoot with - I'm pretty sure a friend there has an OM I could use (and there are always 2nd hand camera shops)

And yes, I'm sure I can find a robe or something to throw over me before I go ;)

So yes, I'm going to try to stick firm - M2 with 35 and 50. I'll report back when I get there and let you know if I manage it.

dunno what additional cameras you intend to take, however I went 2 cameras for my recent Western Canada sojourn. It worked well for me.

the 'kit' was:
• ‘blad 500 CM w 80 mm + 2 backs (one BW one colour)
• CV R4a w a 50 mm and a 28 mm

I wanted to grab some MF images due to the overall superiority of the 120 format for prints etc. Don't forget to post some images or a link to them!

With respect, I cannot agree with your plan.

If your only body, the M2, should go wrong, your whole system will be inactive. Although an M2 is very unlikely to go wrong. So, you ought to bring along one more body just to avoid the chaotic situation of your M2 going wrong. In other words, you ought to make allowance for any one item to go wrong and still you will be able to take pictures with your respectable gear.

The additional bonus of having a back up camera is that you can keep a lens on each, thereby not having to switch lenses.

The additional bonus of having a back up camera is that you can keep a lens on each, thereby not having to switch lenses
Ah, so maybe I really should only take one lens with me ;). Actually, my thought is that if I do take the 35 and the 50, I'll only take one out with me at any one time, so I won't be doing much changing.

If your only body, the M2, should go wrong, your whole system will be inactive
That's true, but if that happened I'm sure I could find something else to shoot with while I'm there. And if the worst happens and it breaks very early and I can't get hold of anything else, I'll have to spend a couple of months taking no photos (and maybe paying attention to the wife instead) - I'll be back there again before long.

dunno what additional cameras you intend to take
Over the years I've taken various 35mm SLRs, Bronica ETRSi kit, and various RF gear. Last time it was M2, M6, and 4 or 5 lenses - and I did keep feeling I was lugging too much gear around. One time I took only an Olympus OM2 and a 35mm lens, and that felt quite liberating.

Well, less than 24 hours to go - I'll sleep on it now.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
A couple of months - I'm very jealous. I'm heading back to SE Asia at the end of October for 5 weeks: Bali, a quick blast though BKK and Chiang Mai to visit friends, then some volunteer work in Laos, Cambodia and possibly Vietnam. Unfortunately I'll have to drag along a bigger kit because of the volunteer stuff: I'll be shooting for an NGO that needs digital colour images, so this means my 5D kit. Of course, I'll also want to shoot BW film, so along comes my M2 or M6.

I'm heading back to SE Asia at the end of October for 5 weeks: Bali, a quick blast though BKK and Chiang Mai to visit friends, then some volunteer work in Laos, Cambodia and possibly Vietnam
That sounds cool - Bali is great (but then, the whole of the region is). I'll be in and around BKK until Nov 22, so if you happen to be passing through while I'm there and fancy a beer, let me know :)

Seriously, two rangefinders, two lenses shouldn't be that bad. That's what I do anyway
Normally, yes, I'd be likely to do something similar to that. But I'm just feeling that a bit of minimalism would be good for my discipline.

Just to add - bon voyage, enjoy your trip

Have a good trip, Alan, whatever kit you decide upon. I'll be traveling to Hawaii for a few weeks in November, already considering what gear to take, thinking minimally... Could be the Fuji GS645S, so light and easy to carry all the time.

I agree Doug. If one has a GS645 pro, it would be silly not to take it along on a trip, either as the sole camera, or along with other 35mm gear. Medium format in your pocket!

Yes there is. I'm from Manchester.
Ah, yes - you can probably tell I'm not much of a football fan (even less so when Liverpool get beaten by Man U).

I've just realised that poses a bit of a problem - I need to be heading for Manchester airport by train at the same time as thousands of Man U supporters. Hmm, I may need to adjust my timing.

Hmm, Liverpool are winning at the moment so it might be a good idea to leave early. In London there are shuttle buses to the airports as well as trains but Ringway isn't in Liverpool so you probably don't have that route.

Hmm, Liverpool are winning at the moment so it might be a good idea to leave early.
I left early - in fact, I was already at the airport when you were writing that (and didn't find out Liverpool won until I checked online at Abu Dhabi).

Anyway, I resisted the temptation to add another body and any more lenses to my kit, so I'm here with M2 plus 35 and 50. But, I have just discovered that my little Olympus XA manged to sneak aboard - I hadn't realised it was in a small pocket of my camera bag when I packed that in my main bag (really, honestly! ;)).

Cheers,

Back