New York NYC Journal

Went for a 3 hour and 10 minute ride. Used my Newsboy, but I did some maintenance before the ride.

Total mileage was 40. There were headwinds both ways The hills in Carmel killed me on the way back.

Started at the Mahopac/Carmel border and went through Brewster and the Great Swamp.

I figured a prolonged session of pumping blood, burning calories, and limited strength training would be good for an old man.

The last miles back to the car hurt. I surprised myself. This was my first real ride in a while. Next goal is a 50 mile ride.

Average speed was maybe 14 MPH by myself. Like I said headwinds killed any sustained speed. Top speed about 30 MPH on a descents, there were some stretches of 20-21 taking advantage of a long grade and no headwind.

Worth the drive to have an open path free of cars (Empire State Trailway).

I feel good and feel I didn’t over do it.

Cal

Blood Pressure 102/67.

Not bad for a 66 year old man.

“Maggie” slaved in the garden while I was having fun. Ha-ha.

The Newsboy does not have the taller gearing of a thin tired road bike. Pretty much built for comfort and long rides. The down hills on the Empire State Trailway just needs something over 100 gear inches. Top gear on the Newsboy is only 102 inches on one crank revolution.

Had some 30 MPH descents where I spin the cranks. At times the headwinds were in excess of 20 MPH making the distance tough. Probably more like a 45 mile ride if no wind.

The idea here is to get use to 50-60 mile rides for 5 days in a row. At that level of fitness it would be easy to slow down a bit and do a Century (100 miles).

After that point do at least one Century a week. Not sure how far above Poughkeepsie the turnaround point would be. I was told by other riders that the section above the Great Swamp is really-really nice.

From my starting point at the Mahopac/Carmel border it is about 10 miles to Brewster. Very few street crossings along the way.

The Great Swamp is 9 miles and I don’t think or remember even a single road crossing for the entire 9 miles except this one remote driveway.

I crossed over a bit and did a few more miles to get 20 on my odometer before doing the turn around. I would expect that further up even less road crossings.

I would suggest if Snarky Joe wanted to do a ride that the start could be right across from the Carmel City Hall. I find the street crossings that are in Granite Springs and Yorktown distracting. I hate slowing down and at times having to stop for them. The whole idea of the Empire State Trailway is to avoid getting “pancaked.”

Pretty much across from Carmel City Hall the ride is other worldly.

The Newsboy is nothing more than an elevated mountain bike with 1.8 inch wide slicks for low rolling resistance. I know I could go faster on my road bike. In Brewster there is one section where you basically have to climb this steep road off trail and hook a left towards Main Street and then another left to get to the trailhead.

I have a 20.64 gear inch granny low that gets used to “spin” up a climb. My road bike only has a low of 40.5 gear inches so it would be a matter of muscling up the climb which is long enough where only late in the season would I have the fitness to muscle up the climb out of the saddle pretty much attacking the hill. Probably not worth the effort to waste strength and energy on such an effort.

I would say the hills in Carmel are a bit of a strength workout. There is one long climb that benefits having a 20 inch granny to spin up. The climb is on the way back and many bikers walk their bikes, but I’m not one of them.

Phil is right about spinning a granny sustained for long climbs is a skill. The problem for many is the sustain part which is a different kind of endurance. The fatigue comes at the end of the climb where you really have to deal with the pain and discomfort. They say this uses less energy than walking up the hill, and of course it is only just a little bit faster. Certainly is a skill, and is about having a high threshold of discomfort.

The recovery though is fast. This is a surprise and counter intuitive. Kinda like an interval, but it does not require strength, it requires endurance. Not a bad skill. When in doubt, slow down and spin.

So some skill and familiarity is helping me make big leaps in fitness. I could see me doing a 50 miler if there are no headwinds on my next ride. The rust disparate fast. I guess muscle memory comes into play. My goal of doing a century every week this season is not so crazy.

From my blood pressure, I know I’l get to the 90/60 range for my blood pressure and pretty much any restrictions will get bypassed by angiogenesis (growing of new veins) or any plaque will get eroded by blood flow. I also know that my veins will become more elastic, and my resting pulse will drop because my heart will be so strong.

This exercise certainly will help prevent dementia and mental decline.

Pretty much we need to load up on top soil and mulch for the garden. Maggie will not be so overwhelmed and burdened, so I expect a very great year of flowers, herbs, cooking, and fresh produce. Last year our own lettuce and arugula was mucho wonderful. Just some protein on the grill and it is a feast.

Our strawberry patch is impressive already. One blueberry bush already has buds for flowers, and our raspberry seems to have a good jump start.

I’m thinking I need to assemble more squares, but for my own use.

As usual life and retirement is great. I will be a tough old geezer. Already I caught this girl with her husband or boyfriend eyeing me and smiling. I was wearing a tight muscle shirt that showed off my long muscular arms. Kinda crazy because the age of her is in between old enough to be my granddaughter/daughter.

I feel I need to wear a T-shirt that says “Old-Man leave me alone.”

Cal

Oro,

Thanks for the like. Feel free to share more wisdom here.

This is a community, our community. My postings here help many survive the pandemic. There are many friends here.

Cal

BTW, my SL2 with the Noct-Nikkor fits into my handlebar bag. Fits like a glove.

Another cool thing is that this handlebar bag converts into a fanny pack.

Cal

The three major indexes are displaying a “red screen.”

Meanwhile Gold is at $2399.30.

People are hedging themselves for possible war. Anything can happen in the Mid East.

Remember watch for oil at $100.00 a barrel. So far stable at $85.00 for WTI (Western Texas Interemediate).

$100.00 oil means a recession…

Cal

One of these days, I really want to take a road bike back to New Mexico and ride up Sandia Peak like I used to when I was a kid and didn't know any better that it was a difficult hill climb. Myself and my friends only did it because we wanted to ride down it and didn't know anyone with a car who was willing to drop us off at the top. That's where and how I became a hill climber.
Phil

Phil,

That is a crazy climb. You learned that you have a massive VO2 Max like Ned. What is the altitude?

Either you have the right genes or you don’t.

My talent as a climber is limited. I don’t have the VO2 Max like you. Funny thing though is I smoked for 15 years from the age of 17-32, then I took up biking. Certainly I damaged my lungs. My lung capacity though remains average. Even though I was a smoker.

The thing with me is my strength to weight ration. I am lean and have a small body and over the years I developed a strong threshold for pain.

Today’s ride was not punishing, but I don’t think I could do a repeat tomorrow. Perhaps I’ll run again or row. Maybe do some strength training.

I should do some work on the house or garden… I need to stock up on garden soil and mulch.

The human body is pretty adaptable and amazing. I think I put on 5 pounds of muscle. Use to be at 150 I was ripped, but now that goal is 155. That’s still skinny on a guy that’s 5’10”. My guess is that I’m 160 today pretty much the same as last week. I feel like I swam in the ocean, I feel a layer of salt on my skin.

Don’t forget that muscle is more dense than fat. There is a conversion process where fat gets displaced by muscle with the right balance of strength training and fitness. At this point I feel I have strength more developed than fitness. Building strength is easy for me, I have those genes.

One reason why I love cycling so much is that I can eat a lot. I find this very satisfying. Also know being Cantonese that food has an exaggerated importance culturally. Cooking and eating well is my culture.

I grilled a chicken and fried some frozen baby peas from Trader Joe’s spiced with some garlic, a bit of soy sauce, and some black pepper. Ate a protein bar in the car after the ride to refuel. Eating right is very important to training.

Cal

Last edited:
It was a 24 mile ride from my house in Edgewood, the last 11 miles of which were uphill. 4,364 foot elevation gain over the whole ride because there are a few small hills to get over on the way to Cedar Crest.

I rode to work here in Philly on Saturday and either I have a cold or horrible allergies but I've been dead since yesterday morning. The ride to work on Saturday morning was good though; I tucked in behind a confident old roadie who was moving at a good pace, I estimated about 15-16 mph, and stayed there for about 4 miles. We got stuck behind a "kid" (maybe twenty something) in full kit on a race bike who was lollygagging. Then, I told the old guy I'd set the pace when I got a chance until my turn onto Midvale Ave, then I kicked it up probably a good 75W. I slacked off a few bike lengths to give me an "on ramp" then I used a couple hundred feet of no joggers for the breakaway. I LOVE passing kitted out roadies on race bikes, while I'm wearing my work clothes, with fanny-pack, riding a 1952 track bike, with flat pedals and toe clips, hauling a giant Carradice saddlebag. I'm getting strong enough that I'm going to have to change my chainring to a 48 tooth soon, but the instant speed available with 46/19 is gratifying. It's also easier to stop. Coming down that 2 mile hill is a pain though.

I want this year to be the year I return to racing, or at least preparation for racing. I may get onto the velodrome at Trexlertown and we'll see where that goes.

Phil

Last edited:
I assume the old Roadie jumped on your wheel to double the insult to the poser clogging the way.

I can say I feel loosened up. I’m more limber today because of yesterday. When I look in the mirror I see the possibility that I did shed some winter water weight from sweating. I look trimmer today. Water weighs about 8 pounds a gallon… Pretty much could some of my weight gain be just a water bloat?

I’d say I’m definately lighter in weight today.

I feel like gardening today. I’ll build out some squares for my own use. I came up with an idea to make edging for a bed by the pergola out of some long lengths of cedar fencing I salvaged.

I will check at Home Cheapo and Lowes for garden soil and mulch sales. Will likely visit some nurseries.

I want to exploit momentum while I have “Maggie’s” interest.

Some aerobic exercise to do as maintenance.

Keep at it Phil. I think you will find a quick response and build up as I have.

The elevation change does not reveal the starting base altitude.

Cal

Enjoyed the nice weather today. I exhausted my supply of cedar fence and made 11 squares for my own use. I have some scraps for repairs if needed. In total I gifted 18 to Fred’s Food Pantry and have 11 for my own use.

Now “Maggie” wants me to relocate a holly bush that is kinda big. Not so easy to do. She also wants to have a cut flower garden. This spot on the south side of the garage gets full sun, so it is ideal for growing.

Also mowed the lawn with my push mower. A bit of a workout because of a slope to the front yard. There is some flowering ground cover that has invaded a garden bed. Maggie thinks the yellow flowers are pretty so she wants them to remain. I have these in the back-backyard also. Yellow flowers with pedals that open during the day and close at night.

I worked all day, but it still was relaxing.

Cal

I’m an old man now. For me the challenge is long rides and pumping blood.

Riding 3-4 hours a day to do 50-60 miles alone is pretty good, even on railroad grades. Doing Centuries alone I have done before. It feels good when it is over.

I figure I could just do the Great Swamp back and forth. Each back and forth is 18 miles or so. I could avoid the Carmel hills and get away with using my road bike rather than a mountain bike set up with gravel tires.

I keenly remember my attempt to head to Bear Mountain via 9W from Madhattan. I was far from home when I realized I didn’t have the legs and fitness to do what I wanted to do. Also this was with a 63.59 gear inch single speed. I got as far north as Lake Rockland.

Pretty much I can do the mileage and not be so far from my car. I’d park the Audi at Brewster. This means I don’t do something dumb again.

I don’t mind riding alone, but I want to stay safe.

Cal

The pinnacle of Sandia Peak is 10,678' but the top of the road is about 10,200. We could ride through the woods from the top of the road to some tight singletrack which linked up to the top of the ski area, or we could backtrack down the road a couple hundred feet, gather up some speed and take the double track fire road right to the top of the lift and then take the groomed MTB trails down.
I always did this on a mountain bike, with the exception of once, just after I joined the Navy. I had employee purchased a GT Course which was Reynolds 753 and full Ultegra. It was a fantastic bike which I should have kept. I rode that once up and down the peak while I was on leave, but did it solo, so didn't have any co-rider motivation. I took it back to San Diego, rode it a couple times while we were in Port the got two flats from a piece of steel pallet band in the road. My coworker Charlie bought the bike from me short thereafter. By then I was into trucks and cars, and we were headed out on another deployment no longer after.
So now I need another road bike...
Phil

I wake at 6:00 AM without any alarm clock. Pretty close to dawn.

In the past it was weekend “Dawn Patrol” mountain biking where a group of us would meet and bike every Saturday and Sunday.

The City Hall for Carmel is about 16 miles away, not a bad drive. I figure the hills will be good for me for 50-60 mile rides.

I’ll reserve the Great Swamp for building past 50-60 miles to reach my Century goal, and I figure I could always break off at 80 miles if I had to.

After I build up the mileage I then can do the out and back from Brewster to do a more interesting Century. I have been told by other riders that the section above the Great Swamp is even better heading towards Hopewell Junction and Poughkeepsie.

After a few Centuries I could race against the clock and compete against myself in attempting to do 100 miles in less time.

I figure the 50-60 mile rides from Carmel are best served using the Newsboy as a training bike. For Centuries I’d use my Ti Basso road bike which is a rebranded Litespeed Classic that weighs about 15-16 ponds. The Newsboy has a granny gear that is useful for the climb back to the car. This long climb being on the way back is kinda cruel when you are tired.

“Maggie” is a silly woman. She does not get up so early, and her bedtimes vary. If I am tired from exercise or work I purposely go to bed early to make sure I am fully rested. She at times stays up late which studies have shown is not the best for aging. Regular sleep and enough rest is important to longevity, but tell this to a woman with a PhD.

I figure I will use the mornings to do my training and I could be home by noon so Maggie does not feel abandoned or a biker’s widow. On a good week I likely could do 50-60 lies for 5 days (250-300 miles total) and then a Century on top of that. Pretty much more mileage on a bike than the average driver does in a car.

Anyways I have done this amount of mileage before while working full time, and pretty much my blood pressure will head into the 90/60 range and my resting pulse is around 50 where it can dip into the high 40’s.

They say biking burns about 500 calories an hour: a three hour ride burns 1500 calories; a four hour ride 2000 calories. To burn off a pound of fat you need consume 4086 calories. I tend to eat a lot because even though I am skinny I am muscular. I likely eat about 2500-3000 calories a day.

As you can see it is pretty easy to loose weight and become a skinny bitch. I want to loose at least the 5 pounds of winter weight and get down to 155 pounds.

The endorphin high from this type of exercise is like a heroin high, and food is almost better than sex. Something like a bagel and coffee is like being in heaven after a ride.

It is pretty easy to live for biking kinda like a real surfer where the best part of the day is used for enjoyment and a state of bliss.

I think Maggie would benefit greatly from biking. It is a great mood stabilizer and can be a real cure for anxiety. Of course there are health benefits. She would rather be a writer at this point and pretty much too much sitting, and can lead to depression.

I would rather be happy. Writing is hard work and pretty much is a struggle.

Cal

Last edited:
My goals are really not so ambitious. I already have done that and been there, but I was decades younger back then.

The difference though is my goal and competition really is free from ego. I really don’t need to be involved in a group or the world. Pretty much I do this because I want quality of life as I age. I would like to keep on driving past 75 years which is the average age when most people give up driving.

I don’t want to become handicapped of disabled. I can prevent heart disease, Diabetes, obesity, and to a limited extent even Cancer. I have the good genes to live well past 100.

My retirement income peak is delayed till I’m 70 or even 72 depending on when I begin collecting my Grumman pension. My collecting Social Security will kick in at the age of 70. Right now I’m living on my hospital pension and savings.

Pretty much I’m living modestly and below my means with little debt: a thirty year mortgage at record low rate below 3%; and a student loan at 2.125% interest rate.

A summer home about 3 1/2 years from now is possible as I approach 70.

It is plausible for me to have 40 years of high quality life without work. Pretty much a very long vacation and I’m making the most of it. Not taking my good health for granted, or giving it away.

Cal

Citi Bank has joined in with others that gold will hit $3K in the next 6-18 months.

One analyst predicted a price of $3.5K.

I guess the takeaway is that the debt load of governments is approaching a knee curve where the debt and interest is getting to be a problem.

Just imagine consumers using credit cards to maintain their standard of living or to just live, then add onto that that governments around the world have done the same. The debt and interest has to become a problem at some point. Looks like that time is beginning to happen.

Also the confiscation and freezing of Russian assets set an alarm. China is a big hoarder of gold presently. The dollar, its value, and its importance is being challenged…

Pretty much both individuals and governments have been living on debt. Consumer credit card levels exceed $1.2 trillion and governments also have set record debt levels. When the crap hits the fan be ready for austerity. Serious austerity, and the best place to be is with either record low interest rates on debt or have no debt.

This will be a bad/sad ending of a binge.

Cal

Last edited:
Back