Nikon F or not ??

F2: no romance.
F: all the romance there ever was with a small loading inconvenience. The one of the very few cameras (Kodak Brownie, Leica A, Rollei Automat) that changed the entire field. And a superb picture maker.
I have to admit i think there's some romance to the F2 Titan.

I have used a plain prism F since 1968. I briefly owned a plain prism F2 but I could not get on with the location of the shutter release button. Besides the Nikons, my other 35mm cameras are all LTM Leicas with the shutter release in the same location as the F. Twisting my hand around to operate the shutter release on the F2 didn't feel natural and I had the impression that it cost me about one stop of camera steadiness. I was fortunate to swap the nice user condition F2 for a mint condition black plain prism F.

A true expert can identify the models present but not shown at a press conference, merely by the characteristic sounds of the motor drives... ;)

Chris
I call this, PhotoMusicology! Even the sounds of camera shutters evoke music. Short of the most silent of leaf shutters. One of the great pleasures of my Nikomat FTn is it's shutter sounds. I also enjoy the images it, and it's period mate, the 50mm, f/1.4 give me. This camera always gives me solid confidence it will not fail me.

I used to own the F, had several years ago. They survived Cerebral Palsy life well, took much jarring about. I enjoyed them. I miss mine. I love my Nikomat FTn a lot, close enough to not bother me. Their quirks do not bother me one iota. I am used to them.

I happen to use a plane-prism F as my main film SLR, and I don't mind its quirks. But, if it's important to you to have an on-board meter, the F2 is a much better choice. The glass and brass Photomic mountain that sits on top of the F is pretty unwieldy, and the F2's metering prisms are far more compact, and the later ones are much more capable.

The F was the first, ever, modern system SLR but, I consider the F2 to be an F with all the initial flaws removed: film door rather than removable back, re-positioned shutter button and rounder edges, much improved mirror lock, a self-timer that also provides 2-10 sec timed exposures, and better buffering for the mirror. It's also less old, not that these cameras need the constant CLA's that a certain German rangefinder seems to demand ;).

I had my first F Photomic FTn from 1969 to 1975, sold it, and missed it. But other cameras (primarily Leica Ms and Nikon FM series) replaced it. Somewhere in the middle '80s, I had a gaggle of Nikon bodies and lenses, and a plain-prism F2 came my way. Nice camera, different feel from the F. I didn't keep it long, traded it off for an F3 and motor which I liked more. I used that kit of Nikon gear, with a Leica M on the side, from then up until about 2001-2002.

Then things changed around a lot as the infant era of new digital gear came and went. Somewhere in that time period between 2005 and 2015, I acquired an early plain prism, chrome F that had been abandoned lens-less in a basement box of junk, a few Nikkor lenses, and a black F Photomic FTn with a bad meter that Sover Wong overhauled. The plain prism F was overhauled by a local shop just before the owner retired.

I sold the black F Photomic FTn to a friend, along with a lens or two. He still has it although he rarely uses it. I still have the plain prism F along with a Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 and a Nikkor 28/2 (floating element model). I use it very occasionally ... simply because it's a bit bulky and I will more commonly grab a Kodak Retina IIc or Leica M4-2 if I'm shooting 35mm film. But the old F is always a natural fit to my hand, has such a pleasing clack-clack sound, and balances so nicely...

I should get a Nikkor 105/2.5 for it, or an 85/1.8. And an old Nikkor 21/4, you know: the one you need to lock the mirror up to use. Those, and the Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5, were always my most used lenses.

But I'm just walking down Memory Lane and remembering fondly my original F at this point... I lived with that camera over my shoulder and at my eye through three of my high school years and at least a couple of my early college years. It was the most precious thing I owned for a time, and I used/abused it constantly. It never broke (not that any of my cameras ever broke very often) even when I used it as a hammer to bang back together the 13' ladder I was on top of started to come apart under me...! ;)

G

PS: ... "Look Homeward, Angel" by Thomas Wolfe always comes to mind when I think of that old F. I must have read that book a half dozen times during my high school years.

As I have stated before I have owned both and for me I much prefer the F2 over the F. I think it looks better and just suits me best. The F2 also seems more robust and solid to me. The prices right now are very reasonable for a camera of this quality.

If you can find one, get an F2 with SBC cell in the finder. This would be the last two versions. Or just get a plain prism and hand meter.

SBC is silicone blue cell and is still used in cameras today. Previous CDS cells have not stood the test of time.

As I have stated before I have owned both and for me I much prefer the F2 over the F. I think it looks better and just suits me best. The F2 also seems more robust and solid to me. The prices right now are very reasonable for a camera of this quality.
Both the F & F2 have more than stood the test of time as professional tools. As always, so much depends on personal preference. You can't really go wrong with either.

I have a very nice Seiko 5 that I wear daily. _THAT_ thread has me thinking about Orient Bambinos too... :cool:

Back