New CT scans at airport eager to deep fry your film

sanmich

Mentor
Local time
4:31 AM
According to these two sources, a new type of CT scans is now used in part of the US at the hand luggage check point.

https://petapixel.com/2019/10/21/beware-new-3d-airport-scanners-will-destroy-your-camera-film/

https://kosmofoto.com/2019/10/new-airport-hand-luggage-scanners-will-destroy-unprocessed-film/

I understand presenting a few rolls out of their canisters should not be a problem.
But I wonder how TSA agents react when you ask for a hand inspection for 100s of rolls, bulk film boxes, 120 film in their protecting wrap or large format film boxes...

The PetaPixel article links back to the Kosmo Foto article. Almost everything I’ve seen on this topic, so far, links back to that article. Kodak has also updated their Storage and Care Guidance document, with regard to airport x-rays, indicating a hand check should always be requested.

https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/sites/uat/files/wysiwyg/pro/CIS_E30.pdf

I’ve seen a number of reports from people who have had their film go through the new machines with no ill effect. Until there is more corroborating information, either way, I will probably err on the side of caution and request a hand check, or not travel with film. I’ve never been refused a hand check in the US, although I have generally just let it go though the hand-check scanners. However traveling internationally may pose a problem.

This scam made it to RFF now. Cosmo is film repackager who wants to generate traffic on his site. Nothing else. Fake news.

New scanners were implemented since 2017. By now it is 145 of them all over the States.
How many real cases are reported by now? Zero.
My film went through them at least three times. Nothing.
One of the first scanners was at Logan. They have sign - safe up to ISO 800.
For those who are in tin hats, pushing 400 film to 3200 doesn't makes it 3200.

This is from TSA themselves:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/film

We recommend that you put undeveloped film and cameras containing undeveloped film in your carry-on bags or take undeveloped film with you to the checkpoint and ask for a hand inspection.

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/2018/07/30/tsa-announces-new-x-ray-technology-roll-out-plan

More than 145 will be in airports by the end of fiscal year 2019.

Update.
This is the answer of TSA to my question:
Most x-ray machines used to screen carry-on bags should not damage undeveloped film under ASA\ISO 800. There are a limited number of screening checkpoints that use x-ray equipment that may damage undeveloped film. These airports will have signage in front of the x-ray stating that the x-ray may damage undeveloped film.

If you are traveling with the following types of film, please pack it in a clear plastic bag, remove it from your carry-on bag at the checkpoint, and ask for a hand inspection:
• Film with an ASA\ISO 800 or higher
• Highly sensitive x-ray or scientific films
• Film that is or will be underexposed
• Film that you intend to “push process”
• Sheet film
• Large format film
• Medical film
• Scientific film
• Motion picture film
• Professional grade film
• Film of any speed that is subjected to x-ray screening more than five times

In most cases, the x-ray equipment used for screening checked baggage will damage undeveloped film; therefore, please place undeveloped film in carry-on bags.

Now I wonder how this works when you buy 100 rolls of Tri-X and several bulk rolls of HP5 in the US, and fly back with them home. Will I take the risk? :confused:

Update.
This is the answer of TSA to my question:
Most x-ray machines used to screen carry-on bags should not damage undeveloped film under ASA\ISO 800. There are a limited number of screening checkpoints that use x-ray equipment that may damage undeveloped film. These airports will have signage in front of the x-ray stating that the x-ray may damage undeveloped film.

If you are traveling with the following types of film, please pack it in a clear plastic bag, remove it from your carry-on bag at the checkpoint, and ask for a hand inspection:
• Film with an ASA\ISO 800 or higher
• Highly sensitive x-ray or scientific films
• Film that is or will be underexposed
• Film that you intend to “push process”
• Sheet film
• Large format film
• Medical film
• Scientific film
• Motion picture film
• Professional grade film
• Film of any speed that is subjected to x-ray screening more than five times

In most cases, the x-ray equipment used for screening checked baggage will damage undeveloped film; therefore, please place undeveloped film in carry-on bags.

Now I wonder how this works when you buy 100 rolls of Tri-X and several bulk rolls of HP5 in the US, and fly back with them home. Will I take the risk? :confused:

I only shoot with professional grade film...

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll be traveling through LAX over the Holidays with film so will ask for a hand check. It may come out the other end with no damage but I am pretty sure it won't be damaged if it is checked by hand.

Besides, I've done this a number of times already because I commonly travel with Delta 3200 and have never been refused, even on International travel.

Always seems to be far more threads on forums about people worrying about x-ray damage, than actual posts from people who’ve experienced x-ray damage. I wonder why that is ?

You know they have been really nice to me in US airports when I ask for a hand check for my film.

I agree. I've had the best experiences requesting hand checks in US airports and sometimes they have even suggested it without my request.

Not so much here in Europe where I've pretty much given up asking for hand checks and just take my chances with the X-ray. Otherwise all I'm doing is holding up the line with the end result being the same. Most times they don't even understand what the problem would be and even if they do they will just say it's fine.

One thing I've learned is not to put my big medium format camera in the same bag as the film as, 9 times out of 10, they will want to scan the camera bag again to find out what this big brick is.

All that being said, I've had a lot of film going through a lot of x-rays and so far I've never encountered x-ray damage. But the fact remains that theoretically it's a possibility so there's always a worry. Sure, I don't actually know what the machines they use are capable of in terms of x-ray damage but neither does the person operating it.

I agree. I've had the best experiences requesting hand checks in US airports and sometimes they have even suggested it without my request.

Not so much here in Europe where I've pretty much given up asking for hand checks and just take my chances with the X-ray. Otherwise all I'm doing is holding up the line with the end result being the same. Most times they don't even understand what the problem would be and even if they do they will just say it's fine.

One thing I've learned is not to put my big medium format camera in the same bag as the film as, 9 times out of 10, they will want to scan the camera bag again to find out what this big brick is.

All that being said, I've had a lot of film going through a lot of x-rays and so far I've never encountered x-ray damage. But the fact remains that theoretically it's a possibility so there's always a worry. Sure, I don't actually know what the machines they use are capable of in terms of x-ray damage but neither does the person operating it.

Yeah in Europe they always refuse to hand check. My film has not been damaged by the xray machines that they are using.

The thing now is that these are a new type of xray machine. I fly out of LAX almost weekly but have not seen the new machines. When I do I am tempted to throw in a sacrificial roll of film just to see if it actually damages the film so we as a collective know for sure, instead of relying on heresay.
But the rest I will still hand check!

New scanners were implemented since 2017. By now it is 145 of them all over the States.
How many real cases are reported by now? Zero.
My film went through them at least three times. Nothing.
One of the first scanners was at Logan. They have sign - safe up to ISO 800.
For those who are in tin hats, pushing 400 film to 3200 doesn't makes it 3200.

Are you sure they are the new scanners? I have not seen them yet at LAX and I travel a lot. Perhaps not at the terminals I fly out from?
The current/old generation scanners have not damaged my film.

I understand TSA agents are understanding when it comes to hand checking rolls of film.
But have any of you in the US experienced any problem asking for a hand inspection for large format film? wrapped 120 rolls? Bulk rolls?

Haven't tried large format film yet. I have traveled many times to Asia and South America with 120 roll film and they have no trouble hand checking the film though I usually don't bother unless I am traveling with Delta 3200. So far no trouble though there have been a couple of occasions at smaller airports in South America where they asked me to wait for a supervisor. Never missed a flight because of that though.

And this is from Kodak (unrelated to CT scans, but maybe to the way to help TSA agents check bulk film or large format film boxes)

"In any of these cases, you should request visual inspection of your film and of any cameras containing film. Depending on the format(s) of film you have, carrying a light-tight changing bag may be advisable to help the inspection process. Remember that this is only a guaranteed option in U.S. air travel. Outside of the U.S. you are required to comply with the local standards and regulations."

The source:
https://www.kodak.com/global/en/ser...hGVfP4acId-fln5UhQrI8PeT0LV8R1QU0iydEDum7Tah4

Back