Motorcycling to Panama

ktmrider

Well-known
Local time
7:50 PM
I am leaving the US and motorcycling to Panama via Copper Canyon, the Yucatan, Belize, etc. I have been using 35mm (Nikon F and Leica M) systems for years and just purchased a Canon G9 (impressive technology in a very small body).

Anyway, I am leaning toward just one M body with 35/90 lenses or may go with a Nikon F 24/105 combo. I am planning on visiting a lot of the Mayan ruins and spending a week on the beach in the Caribbean.

I may purchase a new 35mm lens (35f1.4 or the 35f1.2 but the size) if I take the Leica but I am thinking f2.8 is probably fast enough.

I know about the humidiy, rain, and vibration from motorcycling. Any comments would be welcome.

Take 2 G9 and forget the film. Or look into a pair of Pentax K20D (dust/moisture-resistant, more rugged than Leica/Nikon).

I am leaving the US and motorcycling to Panama via Copper Canyon, the Yucatan, Belize, etc. I have been using 35mm (Nikon F and Leica M) systems for years and just purchased a Canon G9 (impressive technology in a very small body).

I know about the humidiy, rain, and vibration from motorcycling. Any comments would be welcome.

That sounds like a great trip. What are you riding? Is it the KTM and if so which model?

I've ridden my motorcycle from Austin to the Colonial cities in Central Mexico twice and visited by bus another time. As a matter of fact, I'm catching the bus to Guanajuato state again next week.

Last time I rode the motorcycle to Mexico, it rained every single day from the moment we left Austin until we came back two weeks later, so be prepared to deal with rain. I've taken a Nikon D70 in tow of the motorcycle trips and it worked fine, it stayed dry in the aluminum cases and was well damped so vibration was not an issue. However, it was a pain to keep the battery charged and it probably would not have survived getting wet. I'm not familiar with the Canon G9 but my first digital camera was a G2 and I can't imagine using anything like that as my main camera again. I'd prefer an analog SLR or rangefinder. Also, Mexico is a photographer's paradise and capturing the colorful cities and lifestyle will be best done on film.

I'm bringing my Hasselblad, wide angle and normal lens, tons of Kodak Portra, Velvia 100, and a selection of Ilford B&W film. My wife is bringing my Nikon F3 with 20/2.8 and 50/1.8 and Portra and Velvia.

If you have any questions about riding in Mexico, pm me. I'll be glad to tell you about my experiences there.

Not owning a digital I forgot the battery issue. I think Miguel is right: better carry a film camera. Just look for something light. And good luck! :)

Mexico Gear

Mexico Gear

Well, I have been down to Copper Canyon four times on my KTM 950. It is a great machine. Presently I am in Yellowstone and the Teton area on it with the Canon G9. The more I use the G9, the more I am impressed with the technology but the more I realize digital just is not for me. A couple days ago in Yellowstone I was photographing Mammonth Hot Springs and all the photos were overexposed. I had to dial in 2 stops of underexposure to get the saturation I wanted.

As far as Mexico goes, I am leaning toward a KLR650 which I purchased on the cheap with the idea of not having much in the bike if I crash or it gets stolen. And some of us want to explore the Copper Canyon area before heading south. The KTM is capable but the KLR is 100+ pounds lighter and off road that is important.

I have plenty of waterproof luggage for motorcycle travel so I don't think the rain will be an issue. There are a lot of Kawasaki dealers in Mexico so I am leaning toward the KLR as we won't be doing long days of riding (rode 810 miles on Saturday as I could not find a motel room in western Wyoming over Fourth of July weekend).

I enjoy using both my Nikon F and Leica M system. Obviously, the Nikon is larger but have less money invested in it and the 24mm is one of my favorite focal lengths. Then again the Leica with 35/90 combo is a very small but very versatile setup. Anyway, at this point in time it will probably be film and I still have 3 months to decide. Rich

Here's the bikes on the first motorcycle trip just south of Matehuala.

attachment.php

Update of Travel Plans

Update of Travel Plans

Things seem to be coming together for a departure in mid October for a motorcycle rally in Creel (Copper Canyon) and then continuing down to Guatemala and Belize. Copper Canyon cries for a dual sport motorcycle so the KLR650 looks like my best choice although the pavement enroute is supposed to be very good and my new Triumph Tiger is wonderful for long distance.

Right now I am planning on devoting three weeks to a spanish language immersion course in either Antigua or Xela, Guatemala. I figure weekends off will allow me to explore a lot of the Mayan ruins in the country. The courses are unbelievably cheap-$160/week including room/board/instruction 5 hours per day. And then over to Belize for a week on the beach snorkling and diving.

I have been doing more work with the digital G9 and just bought an 8 megabyte card-the number of images that can be stored is amazing. I am probably going to take it in a small Pelican case as well as a 35, having trouble deciding between the Nikon 24/105 or M4 35/90. I know I am being paranoid but have been reading stories of gringoes being ripped off out in the hinterlands of Guademala or Mexico (I know it is just as likely to happen in the US) but I would rather lose the Nikon then the Leica. And I am wondering if a 35 focal length (on both the Leica and G9) is wide enough for photographing the Mayan ruins.

The Nikon combo sounds better to me - easier to replace and more robust. I would however take a 24/50 for speed & size ... The P&S should be good enough for teles.

Enjoy, keep the rubber on the road ...

Roland.

I just came back from three weeks in Mexico. As always lots of fun and great photo opps. This was our first "analog" trip to Mexico (Portra and B&W in 6x6 and my wife took some 35mm Portra and Velvia) and what a difference; gorgeous colors and lots of perfectly focused photos.

I've heard crime in Guatemala is a real problem. I wouldn't worry too much about Mexico other than in and around Mexico City.

Keep the shiny side up.

Anyway, I am leaning toward just one M body with 35/90 lenses or may go with a Nikon F 24/105 combo. I am planning on visiting a lot of the Mayan ruins and spending a week on the beach in the Caribbean.

I may purchase a new 35mm lens (35f1.4 or the 35f1.2 but the size) if I take the Leica but I am thinking f2.8 is probably fast enough.

Sounds like a fun trip. I would worry about theft. I don't know how far off the beaten track you intend to get. Buying a Mexican tourist card used to help but probably doesn't any more. However, if you are living in El Paso, TX and surviving any forrays into Juarez, you may be alright. I understand it is pretty rough there now, unless the army has really managed to clean things up.

Personally, like a poster above, I would recommend the Nikon with 24/50 and a P&S. You should get all the photos you want, and if you "misplace" the cameras, you aren't out so much. You also might want to consider one of the small throw-away submersable cameras if you have the room. It might get you some neat photos while snorkeling.

Stay safe above all! Looking forward to photos on your return.

Back