Moscow 2023

I am very sorry to hear about your loss, ko.fe.
I had a similar event when I called my mother and she told me to call her back in a few days-then she passed away a day later [several years ago].
Mothers cannot be replaced.
Take care.
Thank you. And fathers...

R0184975.jpg

Moscow retail landscape has changed several times. This is one of many remaining, renewed ice-cream booths. Less, but still around are press, news booths. And I'm not sure if tobacco booths are still where. Two I'm missing were beer and separate from beer, kvass (root beer kind of drink) ones. Kvass was only sold in warm months. Beer we drink all year around. Not in Moscow, but in St. Petersburg (Leningrad) they would keep beer warm in the large kettle for winter months.

Joy of bicycle.

In Soviet time we have no cars in personal possession for most. This is how I have grown to cherish long lasting bicycles in form of single speed.
I remember how I was trying to get few speeds road drop bicycle known as "Tourist". Mission impossible, it was possible to get some primitive downhill skis setup. All we had was SS, single speed.

For Olympics 1980 some significant sports structures were erected in Moscow.
Velodrome was one of them. I was fascinated by it, but never went inside for real.

Thanks to my dear friend, we had it corrected this year.

R0185266.jpg

R0185250.jpg

R0185288.jpg

For Olympics 1980 some significant sports structures were erected in Moscow.
The Soviet bosses also constructed an Olympic road from Chisinau, through Transnistria which I'd use on the way to Kyiv. The road was made of concrete slabs and provided the worst possible ride for an hour, or so. Cheers, OtL

The Soviet bosses also constructed an Olympic road from Chisinau, through Transnistria which I'd use on the way to Kyiv. The road was made of concrete slabs and provided the worst possible ride for an hour, or so. Cheers, OtL
This kind of roads foundation method was for military porpoise in mind. At least it was rumors about it.

This kind of roads foundation method was for military porpoise in mind. At least it was rumors about it.
True. Some also referred to this road as the 'tank road'. It makes sense since during Soviet times, Transnistria was one of the staging areas of the Russian Army and there is still a humongous ammunition depot in Cobasna which holds some 20,000 tons of Soviet-era weapons.

Old and new.

My parents got me foldable bicycle. Mother tried, it didn't went well. But I was fine with it. At home the only place to store it was in the toilet, washroom, laundry - the same tiny room.

I spotted one from Soviet era one day, around same time announcement was made to start making them again.

R0185075.jpg

Named after Kama river. Apparently it has deeper meaning in English Kama - Wikipedia

Another dark irony episode. Central part of Moscow know as Lubyanka gain some dark reputation during Soviet time. People kept where for questioning...

R0185000.jpg

This building where is called as Lubyanka Art Hotel...

They even have some English language part on web-site.

Who's the guy next to Arafat? It could almost be a younger Putin.

The Kama bike looks well made, but how much does it weigh? Like 15 Kg?

Thanks for these pictures, Kostya.

Who's the guy next to Arafat? It could almost be a younger Putin.

The Kama bike looks well made, but how much does it weigh? Like 15 Kg?

Thanks for these pictures, Kostya.

Kama is 14.6 kg without accessories.

Here is Putin like at the same place:
R0185290.jpg

And not so far from Moscow's velodrome is ski slops were I learned downhill.

R0185310.jpg

Orthodox Easter today.

This church was not destroyed and I remember how some of my schoolmates went were for major service, despite it was marked as bad for young in USSR.

R0185328.jpg

R0185333.jpg

But later on I participated in my schoolfriend marriage here and much later my mother became baptised here.

It would be no forum if no gear talk.
All of the pictures here where taken with GRDIII (not GRIII).
I paid for it 160 USD two years ago.
On three weeks trip, everyday photos it used one and half battery. I was turning camera off between taking of pictures.
And I run out space on memory card day before return flights.

To be honest, for price, results and how easy to use, carry on this is the best camera for travel and on commute.
I like the noise in low light photos. Most of color noise, is just because I was not paying enough attention for exposure (leaving it on higher shutter speeds).

Here is the link for photo with larger sizes from this trip:

Untitled by Kostya Fedot, on Flickr

No posing, true candid, snapshot.

I'm thinking of adding used GR III. Not for practical reasons, but Ricoh GR(D) series is first cameras after Leica which are nice to collect, yet, not been hosed. In addition to GRDIII, I have working GRD, which is one of the few digital cameras with cult status :)

Back