More Obsessing About Gear Choices

Bill, Haven't you answered your own question? It seems to me that you'd need the 21, 35 and the Bessa. And perhaps a 85/90: that means buying another lens but then you are down to one body and that saves weight. (Wasn't there a x2 converter years ago? that would make the 50mm a usable 100mm.)

When I want everything in one packet I take the Leica C3 (28 to 90 zoom and really a P&S with a very, nice lens on it). Or the budget version that I bought in a charity shop; a Pentax ESPIO 928 (also 28-90 zoom P&S).

Or going digital the Leica Digilux 2 takes a lot of beating. And it's f/2 at the wider end.

Or there's the Leica CL or Minolta CLE. I'd take the CL but I've had it for years and wouldn't want it to come to any harm so it stays at home for the long trips. If I could find a CLE with several years guarantee I'd take that with just the 28 and 90mm.

Hope this helps. Whatever you take you'll miss something...

Regards, David

Bill, Haven't you answered your own question? It seems to me that you'd need the 21, 35 and the Bessa. And perhaps a 85/90: that means buying another lens

With the gear I have now, I could take the Bessa with the 21 and either the 28 or the 35, along with the Oly and the 85. The Bessa with the 21 and the 28 and the Oly with the 85 is reasonably light.

Buying a new lens and its VF for the Bessa is not something I relish right now.

Ferider's suggestion to take the Oly and the 35 and 85 or the M2 with the big 35, though, is the frontrunner right now. :)

Of course, for me the ultimate lightweight kit would be to take just the Sigma. That's rather tempting.

Needless to say, this would be an easy decision if i only had one camera outfit.

Last edited:
Ferider's suggestion to take the Oly and the 35 and 85 or the M2 with the big 35, though, is the frontrunner right now. :)

Funny, reading this I remembered I went out with the entire OM2 outfit on Saturday and just used the 28 and 100*, more or less what you are thinking. It's a nice combination.

Regards, David

* Not the posh Zuiko but a cheapo one I'd bought for a fiver. It turned out to be great for protraits (not too soft) but not so good for picking out details.

Back