Monopod & Air Travel

Flyfisher Tom

Well-known
Local time
4:09 PM
Since 2001, has anyone had trouble with CARRY-ON of a monopod during air travel?

I never travel with checked luggage, and don't wish to show up at the airport only to have to check the monopod.

Thanks in advance.

Another reason to get a telescoping walking stick. Fake a limp. Nobody's gonna make you check your walking stick, are they?

If a person uses a walking aid such as a cane, he or she will be permitted to bring it on board. The cane is checked carefully by security, to make sure it is not a sword-cane, and I don't know what they will do if they discover a threaded mount for the tripod bush on the stick. I have had to use a cane at various times, due to a skin disease, and I used to travel for a living. A cane is ok.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

bmattock said:
If a person uses a walking aid such as a cane, he or she will be permitted to bring it on board. The cane is checked carefully by security, to make sure it is not a sword-cane, and I don't know what they will do if they discover a threaded mount for the tripod bush on the stick. I have had to use a cane at various times, due to a skin disease, and I used to travel for a living. A cane is ok.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
On the Tracks Sherlock, the walnut knob on top screws onto the threaded mount. I'm not sure what one could do about the metal spike underneath the rubber foot, however.

richard_l said:
On the Tracks Sherlock, the walnut knob on top screws onto the threaded mount. I'm not sure what one could do about the metal spike underneath the rubber foot, however.

Yeah, I suspect that might be a problem. They did put my cane through the x-ray, everytime. One guy nearly destroyed my cane by twisting on the handle, trying to 'take it off' to remove what he thought was a hidden compartment.

Since I don't travel anymore, let me share something with you all. You can't carry a weapon on a plane, right? Well, you can carry a cane. You don't need a doctor's note or a limp. In my case, I really had a reason, but if I hadn't, no one would have known.

And my cane? Well, after the experience having a TSA worker trying to take my cane apart and basically rendering it useless to me, I got one of these:

www.canemasters.com

Is this a great country or what? They let you take shillaleagh law onboard.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

According to the TSA website, what they prohibit are things like sword canes where there is a weapon concealed in the body of the cane/walking stick. As long as the walking stick doesn't have something like that hidden inside, it should be permissible for carry-on after hand inspection.

I notice that they make no mention of monopods or tripods on the permitted and prohibited items list. There is simply a catch-all category for "camera equipment" and it says "permitted for carry-on". I've no doubt that there is a wide difference between screeners on this point and haven't put it to the test myself, but there is nothing to indicate that you can't.

Last edited:
dkirchge said:
According to the TSA website, what they prohibit are things like sword canes where there is a weapon concealed in the body of the cane/walking stick. As long as the walking stick doesn't have something like that hidden inside, it should be permissible for carry-on after hand inspection.

I notice that they make no mention of monopods or tripods on the permitted and prohibited items list. There is simply a catch-all category for "camera equipment" and it says "permitted for carry-on". I've no doubt that there is a wide difference between screeners on this point and haven't put it to the test myself, but there is nothing to indicate that you can't.

I say this only as a friendly bit of advice - the TSA does what they please. They will refuse to let anything on board that they decide represents a threat. The only things I've seen them ALWAYS allow on, however grudgingly, have been medical assistance devices.

The only experience I can base my advice on is that I was a road warrior, flying twice a week and 150,000 miles a year for seven years, both before and after 9/11.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

I'm not disputing your first-hand experiences, Bill. I'm only pointing out what TSA's offical documentation says and what a reasonable person can deduce from it. I used to travel extensively on business myself (often with my computer toolkit, which was a real headache... glad it was employer-provided), so I am well aware of the differences between what is said on paper and what is actually done by the screeners. Would I risk my monopod on it? Nope.

Last edited:
I travel with a Leki Trekker walking stick which I use as a cane and as a monopod. It's one of those with walnut knob threaded to the top and I've never had a problem with security. Of course, I also have a large chunk of titanium where my knee used to be and a pacemaker so I set off all the bells and sirens and get patted down pretty good. My favorite question about the cane is: Do you need that to walk? Once I answered "not if I like pain"

dkirchge said:
Would I risk my monopod on it? Nope.

That's what it comes down to - if the O/P carries no checked luggage and the TSA guy or gal is in a bad mood that day, guess what happens next? If that's ok with the O/P, then fine.

It is all pretty much arbitrary anyway, right? You have to have plastic eating utensils onboard, for fear we'll butter-knife each other to death. But, when I'm using a cane to walk, I can take a three-foot long wooden stick, which is fully capable of stoving a skull completely in, no problem.

I have seen more than one person (including, sadly, myself before I wised up) who thought they could 'argue' with the TSA. Even I, who seldom hesitates to get into anybody's face, do not argue with them. There's no point, you can't win.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

bmattock said:
That's what it comes down to - if the O/P carries no checked luggage and the TSA guy or gal is in a bad mood that day, guess what happens next? If that's ok with the O/P, then fine.

It is all pretty much arbitrary anyway, right? You have to have plastic eating utensils onboard, for fear we'll butter-knife each other to death. But, when I'm using a cane to walk, I can take a three-foot long wooden stick, which is fully capable of stoving a skull completely in, no problem.

I have seen more than one person (including, sadly, myself before I wised up) who thought they could 'argue' with the TSA. Even I, who seldom hesitates to get into anybody's face, do not argue with them. There's no point, you can't win.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks
I agree with you there. I also agree about the Canemasters canes, wonderful, aren't they?

dkirchge said:
I agree with you there. I also agree about the Canemasters canes, wonderful, aren't they?

I read about them in a Tom Clancy novel (which I picked up only out of sheer boredom, I hate that junk) and I didn't know that the company was real.

I'm an old-school Okinawan-style karateka, but a good friend of mine has been a Sifu for a long time and taught me some respect for the cane. I'm far from an expert, but I admire the form and practice it when I can. And if you're going to go Dlí Sail-Éille (Shillelagh Law) style, a Canemasters cane is the way to go.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

I've carried a monopod aboard aircraft both before and after 2001. The biggest problem I ever had was BEFORE 2001. The British authorities questioned the monopod in extensive detail. They were more focused on it's potential role as an aerial than as a weapon/tool. They had no clue that a one-legged device could hold a coamera. In fact, they asked what would keep the camera from falling. After further explanation and demonstration they let me continue from my international flight into Heathrow to a domestic flight destine for another part of the UK.

bmattock said:
The only experience I can base my advice on is that I was a road warrior, flying twice a week and 150,000 miles a year for seven years, both before and after 9/11.
Ha... me too. Fortunately I gave that up about 8 months ago when I took a staff job. Only difference is that I did that for almost 20 years. Twice a week travel across the country was starting to make me look like an old man. Actually, I am an old man... but it was making me look even older!

Good Day Flyfisher Tom...
..several good pieces of advice here and I'd like to add my personal experience. I did not want to check my tripod & monopod on my last trip to the U.S.A.. They both fit in my carry-on (head removed).

I shot TSA an inquiry e-mail and a Lady responded, asking me to call them. I did. Upon asking if tripod and monopod were tools one can extend easely (err...here's your sign..) she proceeded telling me that "...while not specifically prohibited as carry-on by the FAA or the TSA, a tripod and a monopod fall under the category of items that are allowed in carry-on on screener's discretion.. ". I checked both.

Have you considered mailing the monopod ahead of you (hotel, friends, General Delivery (does that still exist ?)) ?

Have a wondy one !

Last edited:
Thanks all for the great insights :)

I think the general consensus is that it is largely in the disrection of the TSA officer (whether the guidelines says so or not). As I have zero confidence in any airline with regard to checked items, or frankly the TSA, I will look into checking a very very cheap monopod for travel. Sad state of affairs.

In any event, thanks all !

cheers

Back