Minolta Autocord Question

milescl

Well-known
Local time
8:29 PM
Hi all,

Recently acquired a Minolta Autocord as my first TLR!

I'll be sending it off to Karl Bryan for servicing, and while the focus lever is intact and functioning, I'm thinking about preemptively having the aftermarket aluminum one installed. My thinking and research leads me to think that it's almost inevitable that I'll break it, and it'd be nice to prevent me having to send it in again.

What are your thoughts? Am I totally crazy?

There were a number of little mods to the Autocord over the years. One of those was replacing the pot metal focus lever with one of harder material. In the later runs, they put a strip of flexible metal for the focus arm, allowing the lever to flex but not break. Check yours before assuming that such preventive action is required.

Karl Bryan worked on my Autocord I a couple of years ago. The old pot metal focus lever was frozen solid when I bought the camera, but after his attention it's smooth as silk now. I don't have to put excess pressure on it, and I expect that the cleaning and lubrication Karl gave it should last for years. I wouldn't convert to the aluminum lever unless the old lever was already cracked or continued to seize up even after CLA.

I echo the previous responses.
Glad you are sending it to Karl. I have dealt with him multiple times in the past and have had great experiences. He is thorough, fast and has great prices.

Looking forward to seeing pictures from your newest addition.

There were a number of little mods to the Autocord over the years. One of those was replacing the pot metal focus lever with one of harder material. In the later runs, they put a strip of flexible metal for the focus arm, allowing the lever to flex but not break. Check yours before assuming that such preventive action is required.

Good call.

Karl Bryan worked on my Autocord I a couple of years ago. The old pot metal focus lever was frozen solid when I bought the camera, but after his attention it's smooth as silk now. I don't have to put excess pressure on it, and I expect that the cleaning and lubrication Karl gave it should last for years. I wouldn't convert to the aluminum lever unless the old lever was already cracked or continued to seize up even after CLA.

I'll be sure to take a close look on mine before buying the aftermarket one.

I echo the previous responses.
Glad you are sending it to Karl. I have dealt with him multiple times in the past and have had great experiences. He is thorough, fast and has great prices.

Looking forward to seeing pictures from your newest addition.

Thanks! I'll be sure to add my photos to the thread here.

It's not inevitable your lever will break. My understanding is they break because they were forced when lubricant became hard. Mine worked fine when I bought it. It was CLAd maybe 5 years ago and still works fine. Great camera.

Another way that Autocord levers can break of is if the back is opened when the lever is in the center. This puts the lever out and subject to force from the back. You'll see a lot of Autocord focus knobs that a tilted back towards the body; I think in many cases this might have come about from the back pressing it.

OP, talk to Karl. He has seen so many Autocords, he'll advise you right. You'll be getting a wonderfully working camera when it comes back from him, old lever or new. It isn't inevitable that it will break if you treat the camera right, as the thousands of Autocords with original levers attest.

Thanks for the advice!

Back